cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password not recognised

psmurthw
Tuning in

I was advised to change my router password as my mobile phones were no longer connecting over WiFi. This has worked but now my WiFi connection on my TIVO box will not accept the new password. I have tried rebooting. I understand how to change password but when I put the new password in it will not validate it. I tried the previous password and that won't work either. 

Virgin advised me to buy a long ethernet cable and connect the server to the TiVo box that way but I have been connected successfully over WiFi for years. 

Can anyone help please?

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

This will return the Hub back to "out of the box" settings, so you will need to reconnect your wifi devices to the password on the Hub.

You could also change the password to one of your choosing and try again.

As for the cable, that would be my option.  I have everything cabled that can be, and only use wifi for equipment that is mobile.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter
Check you are not mixing router password and wifi password.

Have you got the wireless bands spilt?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for your time and the advice. Forgive me, I am not that familiar with technology.

As our phones had stopped connecting to the WiFi yesterday, earlier today Virgin talked me through changing the router password and then the WiFi password. (They had been working fine for years on the default password up to yesterday.)  Since then, as soon as I leave the house and return, neither the new or old wifi password are longer recognised by the phones.

Since the password change, the tivo box doesn't recognise either the new or old password. I took a screen shot of the new WiFi password when I changed it via the browser so I know I am inputting it correctly. The phones are always set to auto connect.

Not sure what is meant by the wireless bands split? On the tivo it is set to auto switch between two frequencies if that's what you mean.

I can't use a cable to connect the tivo to the router as they are on different floors but it worked fine before the password was changed.

It's almost as if the router is now not retaining any passwords.

“Not sure what is meant by the wireless bands split?”

This means do you have separate network names (SSID) and password for the two WiFi frequency bands - 2.4 and 5GHz ?

By default they’re the same - like VM12345678 for both.

I’m guessing you haven’t changed them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

It could be that you’ve not saved the changes properly.

At this stage I’d check that the passwords are legible on the hub label, make a note of them, then perform a factory reset 

push the pinhole reset button with a cocktail stick or similar for a minute and then let the hub start up. Leave it for at least 10 minutes.

Use the factory passwords to connect your devices.