cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid for Gigabit - Equipment sent by VM isn't suitable.

Lexifir
Tuning in

Bought into the Gigabit ethernet as I wanted the larger upload (pity I hadn't shopped around as there are now other providers which offer 1000 down and 800 up for slightly less and I'm tied into a contract for another 12 months :(... serves me right for not shopping around.)

My main issue is the WiFi on the Home Hub 4 is HORRIFIC!! I can be in the same room as the hub and all the WiFi connected devices drop off, yet the TV can still be used to watch netflix and browse the internet (not cached content) TV is on a CAT7 ethernet cable direct into the hub.

I've been constantly fobbed off by the 'support' team. Earlier this week one of the ladies I spoke to said she would have a Hub 5 sent out and had waived the £25 fee. By the end of the week, I phoned to find out where the equipment had gone (still having bad WiFi issues) and the next agent said there were no notes on my account saying anything about a Home Hub 5!!!

I was LIED TO!

More phone calls....

This next agent then told me that the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks were causing the interference - because they had different SSID! 
I played his game and set the 2.4 to the same SSID and was absolutely shocked to find that it made no difference at all.... (That's sarcasm in case you missed it)

I'm getting REALLY annoyed that I can't make full use of the bandwidth I'm paying for, that the devices all suddenly drop and that the agents don't listen to me - is there any way to force them to provide me with functional equipment that doesn't randomly drop some or all devices?

I've even had a few instances throughout the last month where ALL devices (ethernet and WiFi devices) drop out - it's annoying, but spending 35 minutes each time to speak to someone that just makes up garbage is demoralizing.

Any advice??

23 REPLIES 23

...................... This is beyond a JOKE!

New Hub 4 arrived - I thought 'Brilliant' the issue will be fixed....

But NO!!

The replacement Hub4 ethernet ports are STILL functioning well below the 1gig limit..... What is the point of sending a customer a device that physically CAN NOT support the full speed that the customer is paying for?!?!?

I've complained too many times via the phone - now it's time to take this to OfCom, starting with an Ofcom speed guarantee complaint.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK time to run a pure speed check this way..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed. Or 20Mbps on wifi-max.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - or https://www.speedtest.net/ - try on 2 different browsers - as Chrome sometimes gives odd results.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, anti-virus, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. For examples of why its imprtant... see message 7 in the first thread and 9 in the second and 3 in the third

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/HUB-5-and-IGB-wifi/td-p/5088163

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Slow-Ethernet-Speed/m-p/5060946#M484321

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upgrade-from-M600-to-Gig1-no-speed-change-with-Hub-4/td-p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Spent a while on the phone before either being hung up on (whilst I was in a queue system) or a genuine disconnect.......

So, the issues still remain.... paying for 1gig service and unable to use it properly.

BUT: New Hub4 has a much better WiFi signal strength, far more stable (2.4Ghz security camera hasn't dropped once) - so at least some of the issues have been addressed with the replacement box... That's a nice start, and it proves that the box was faulty like I said the first few times to the call staff!

Tried putting the new box into Modem mode to check out the port capability, but the box locked up and even after power cycling and letting it sit for quite some time. Eventually I got fed up, used the pin hole reset, and I started back in the default Router mode.

Router Mode: This was with a laptop connected directly to the hub, I think an IP did get automatically assigned to the laptop for a while, as I'm sure I remember seeing it in the ipconfig list, but as I was having issues getting back into the hub using the IP 192.168.100.1 and so tried resetting the laptop, hub etc... never saw the computer assigned an IP address again. Even manually setting the IP didn't give me any joy, hence pin hole reset...

There is a TP-Link AX5400 on the way in tomorrow or the day after, so I'll give modem mode another go when the house goes quiet...

Hopefully, the TP-Link will do a better job than I did as a DCHP server and assign some internal IP numbers correctly.

Also, I had a look at the TCP Optimizer; thanks for that - not sure it's made any difference, but it was worth looking at.

Haven't tried 'safe mode' yet, although did try turning off the antivirus and firewall...

Will update in a few days.

Every time I have swapped the hub into modem mode - the device is nearly bricked...

Swapped it over to modem mode, let it do a full reset and then tried using 192.168.100.1

Occasionally I get a fraction of a landing page to load (part of the red background) and from that point onwards, nothing at all - ever...

I've tried with the laptop plugged in via the TP-Link, via the ethernet at the back of the hub (Tp link disconnected) - nothing ever let's me connect to 192.168.100.1

The laptop only ever assigns itself an internal ip address - never gets one from anywhere else... is this thing in modem mode still supposed to assign out IP, or am I expected to hard code one into the laptop before attempting to connect to back to the Hub?