cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid for Gigabit - Equipment sent by VM isn't suitable.

Lexifir
Tuning in

Bought into the Gigabit ethernet as I wanted the larger upload (pity I hadn't shopped around as there are now other providers which offer 1000 down and 800 up for slightly less and I'm tied into a contract for another 12 months :(... serves me right for not shopping around.)

My main issue is the WiFi on the Home Hub 4 is HORRIFIC!! I can be in the same room as the hub and all the WiFi connected devices drop off, yet the TV can still be used to watch netflix and browse the internet (not cached content) TV is on a CAT7 ethernet cable direct into the hub.

I've been constantly fobbed off by the 'support' team. Earlier this week one of the ladies I spoke to said she would have a Hub 5 sent out and had waived the £25 fee. By the end of the week, I phoned to find out where the equipment had gone (still having bad WiFi issues) and the next agent said there were no notes on my account saying anything about a Home Hub 5!!!

I was LIED TO!

More phone calls....

This next agent then told me that the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks were causing the interference - because they had different SSID! 
I played his game and set the 2.4 to the same SSID and was absolutely shocked to find that it made no difference at all.... (That's sarcasm in case you missed it)

I'm getting REALLY annoyed that I can't make full use of the bandwidth I'm paying for, that the devices all suddenly drop and that the agents don't listen to me - is there any way to force them to provide me with functional equipment that doesn't randomly drop some or all devices?

I've even had a few instances throughout the last month where ALL devices (ethernet and WiFi devices) drop out - it's annoying, but spending 35 minutes each time to speak to someone that just makes up garbage is demoralizing.

Any advice??

23 REPLIES 23

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Very good stats all around.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I bet a BQM to the hub in router mode would show fine and that the ethernet ports are a problem or test in modem mode 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Any other suggestions as to what is causing all the WiFi devices to simultaneously drop out?

Is there anything else I can try?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There is no evidence yet for a network connection issue - can you set up a BQM as below that should help provide that.

Re wifi - did you consider what I posted in message 2?

My wifi drops out when we switch on our new Panasonic Microwave Oven - you havent got one have you 🙂

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

As your running BQM you can run by wire CMD ping -t 192.168.0.1
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @Lexifir

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with your Wi-Fi connection recently.

Do you have our connect app?

If not, I would recommend downloading this and you can scan and manage your Wi-Fi there. You will also be able to order Wi-Fi pods via the app.

There is more information here for you.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Already had the app - scanned the house as per instructions, some rooms at 5Mbps instead of 1000.

Have also found that the Hub is the cause of the faults in the house - used two different laptops after disconnecting every other device and ran a set of speedtests - maximum speed from any ethernet port on the Hub4 was only 334 Mbps... No wonder the rest of the house sometimes gets congested - it's the hubs inability to deal with the basics...

You nailed it - the ethernet ports on the back of the hub are at fault.

Tested each of them with a pair of laptops using a 0.5m CAT8 cable. Everything else was disconnected from the network, so the traffic was near zero... Best speed I managed to get from any of the Hub 4 ports was 335Mbps.

Oddly, port 4 was consistently much lower - even though everything else was unplugged, I think the highest it managed on that was 197Mbps.

I'll ring (again) and wait in a 30 minute queue to speak to someone who doesn't actually care and see if I can get a replacement device.....

Thanks for the pointer!
KUDOS!

Hi @Lexifir

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the speed issue, I can see you've spoke to the team since posting and we are sending out a WiFi Pod for you which will be with you soon. 

There are a few requirements for the Pods to work with our Hubs. You can view these below: 
• The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'
• Channel Optimisation must be left on
• The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled
• The SSID must be password protected
• The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill