cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packett loss and disconnecting often

milut2000
Joining in

Previous router was disconnecting more often, after this was swapped by an engineer Monday the 21st (second engineer to come on site after first one rulled out no problem with the cable or the exchange) and decreed the only possible remaining option is people sending too much noise in the exchange which I haven't heard of in my life... my internet is still dropping about twice a day, my speed is fluctuating from 0 to about 100mbps download and about 2mbps upload during the day to about maximum of 200 and 20 upload in the evening..

Virgin as a whole says it is fine as long as it works.

Both me & Mrs work from home, I do IT and I need some bandwidth, connecting via ethernet cable from the router, the WIFI from the router dropping more often then the LAN (likely due to heavier packett loss).

The last I have to do is run the router as modem and use my own device but seems so far the packettloss is network based so doing that would just serve as better wifi range.

My best option at this stage is to install internet from another service provider to have when this one fails and fingers crossed. Increasing speed would not increase network performance at this stage. Any thoughts what's wrong?

network 25-06.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @milut2000,

Thank you for coming back to us about your issue. I'm sorry to hear that your issue seems to be coming back!

Thank you for providing the screenshots of your BQM charts! They're very helpful.

I was able to locate your account and I can see that there is currently an ongoing area outage.

This is most likely interrupting your connection. 

The outage is estimated to be fixed by today (19/07/21) at 15:00.

Please reboot your equipment around this time and monitor your connection over the next 24 hours to see if the issue has been resolved with the outage.

If not, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

40 REPLIES 40

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Do you have a BQM to show how bad?
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

---------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon, you didn't actually look at the bqm I've attached with my post, did you?

@milut2000 wrote:

Good afternoon, you didn't actually look at the bqm I've attached with my post, did you?

How could I when it needed to be checked before I can see it.

But i looks bad at given times and fine most of the other time. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Post the link to "share live graph" - not to a static shot. Looks bad at peak time 9-12pm

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f5a5fcfe322c74b1ad70a1674d18df3db2758bb9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That is just about a perfect BQM. Are you issue free right now?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi milut2000,

Thank you for your post. 

We're sorry to hear about the broadband issue you've been having. I have been able to locate your account. 

I am unable to see anything that could be causing any issues. 

Can you confirm if you're continuing to have any issues?

^Martin

it just went down earlier, the bandwidth usually startes crashing about 11ish in the morning and about 3ish in the afternoon (sometimes either leaving me with about 10-20mbps/sec or crashing entirely, depending on luck, now it's down to crashing about once per day since the router has been swapped with no one, even the engineer being able to put his finger on it). I can keep on booking engineers if Virgin Media has enough money to keep throwing at this, I can book them daily until fixed. I lived some 25 miles away and the internet went down once a blue moon, 2-3 times a year and now it is this often. I do understand there can be many users pushing their downloads to max but I don't suppose I've been notified when I contracted the service that it is going to be so poor that I should think about having a back-up internet connection or consider getting fired for day to day issues

Now I keep my lunch break for when my internet goes down and fingers crossed it comes back up by the end of it.

It was fine this weekend, but now it's back to having issues. By the time I've started the monitor as you guys wanted it, it seemed fine, but the image on Friday was the one attached.

network 25-06.JPG

Image is blocked - Possibly contains MAC or IP address.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7