cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss with specific host

garnc
Tuning in

Hi,

Multiple virgin media customers are currently experiencing packet loss with a specific gaming server host. I've attached a WinMTR report to support this: -

https://pastebin.com/CZZpegBw

I've checked in with serveral friends who also use virgin media as their ISP and they''re all experiencing the exact same issue (situated all across the UK) - users with other ISPs (BT, Sky, etc..) are not experiencing any packet loss when pinging this host.

The host IP is mc.hypixel.net

14 REPLIES 14

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@garnc wrote:

Mode mode isn't really an option for me, wouldn't work with my setup.

But you can test right and without a router? interested to know how your setup works with router mode that you can't use modem mode with another router under the same LAN IP 

its likely a router mode problem only and if you don't test how will you know? how will VM know?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have several ethernet and WiFi devices, and I don't want to buy another router and set it up with my current hub in modem mode just to do this test when it's not relevant either way - because regardless of whether it's a router mode only issue it's still an issue thats affecting hundreds if not thousands of users and needs to be resolved.

It cropped up out of the blue about a week ago, all VM customers started experiencing these issues at the same time whilst those with other ISPs felt nothing.

Beyond that - the MTR and trace route tests from those earlier in the thread show packet loss between VMs data centres and Cloudflare, meaning it's strongly unlikely modem mode would change anything... You're talking about a personal/home fault with that. This is an internal issue with Virgin Media as a whole.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@garnc wrote:

I have several ethernet and WiFi devices, and I don't want to buy another router

You don't have to buy a router for a test just connect only a PC to the hub in modem mode see if it works

As I said, it's not relevant either way as this should work in router mode the way it always has done in the past.

Any and all virgin media customer being unable to sustain a stable connection to cloudflare services is a major fault that popped up all of a sudden just over a week ago now. VM haven't even as much as acknowledged the problem let alone investigate it. I am appalled at the level of service.

I'm leaving Virgin Media and joining the Openreach network, several others I'm in contact with who also rely on a stable connection to Cloudflare are leaving/have left too. As well as who knows how many others I don't personally know.

Had been a loyal customer of VM for over a decade, disappointing end.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Guess you have to go for another ISP with a better router mode