cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss since upgrade in area

slaterss
On our wavelength

Since VM work in the area, "improvements" - I am now seeing packet loss throughout the day.

The packet loss is not much, but its enough to cause my online gaming to occasionally break.

There was two outages on the 18th Oct when VM did upgrades in the area, after which i started to see packet loss.

My neighbour also on VM is also seeing problems post improvements.

it is between 1-2% packet loss, i have seen this by running a ping to 8.8.8.8 for example as well.

BQM also showing packet loss as well now

Any help appreciated?

Will posting mean VM will get to see this as well?

2022-10-19_13h03_30.png2022-10-19_13h04_56.png

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See if they know about this.

Try in 2 places...

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Many thanks @jbrennand

Service status states green ticket against broadband and my area, no issues, When I click on view status, it states "Sorry, we can't run a test on your services right now"

Tried the automated status number you kindly suggested (very useful number - many thanks); however after entering account no and area code; it says there is no issues in my area also.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - A VM person will respond on here but it can take a few days for them to get her.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi slaterss,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues since we have made improvements in your area.

Upon checking remotely from our end this afternoon, we were unable to retrieve any data from our systems for your router.

Can we ask when you last rebooted? As you posted a short while ago how have things been?

Are you able to reboot and let us know when you have done this so we can try and run some diagnostics for you again if your still experiencing issues.

Kind regards Jodi. 

slaterss
On our wavelength

many thanks for getting back to me.

VM Router and indeed my router has been rebooted twice since Tuesday when the problems started.  Both last rebooted Wednesday for a 2nd time.

My VM Router is running in modem mode, has been like this for many years.

Packet loss Only started after the improvements in the area.

Yes problem is still occurring, very intermittent - i.e. less than 1-2% packet loss on a ping to bbc, also the BQM shows packet loss as well

the packet loss is less then it was earlier this week, and i appreciate it is very small packet loss; nevertheless, i never experienced this prior to Tuesday of this week, when you were doing work in my area.

2022-10-22_07h07_58.png

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for the issues faced slaterss,

To clarify on the packet loss, are you losing connection now during this time? 

If so how long is the system off for?

Let us know,

Kain

slaterss
On our wavelength

Hi,

sorry for the very long delay in replying, i thought the issue had subsided, however due to health issues i had not used my broadband as much.

I am getting pack loss still; and it is getting worse.

I get game disconnects on wired for ps5 and xbox which i never used to get - these disconnects last a second or two

also in the past few weeks i have started to see disconnects from work over a VPN, i.e. around 12:04 on 7th February 2023 was another occurrence, it lasted for around 1minute, but was enough to cause me to disconnect.  also a constant ping to work is showing ping drops which i never used to see - i.e. in a hour i can see 20 pings dropped out of 3000.  

please fix this long standing issue, as the product is not fit for purpose currently.

attached image shows clear packet loss throughout the day with an increase in packet loss at 12:04

2023-02-07_23h22_55.png

Hey slaterss, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some connection issues.

I have taken a look into this and I can't spot any major issues at all.

Your levels are fine and we can't see no problems at our end.

How has the connection  been since Tuesday? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?