cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss since Tuesday.. Hub 4 Gig1

cauk
Tuning in

I started to notice packet loss on Wednesday night. It got worse and by yesterday afternoon it was about 20% on a ping. I rebooted the hub and it's mostly gone, but still running at about 0.2% loss over an hour. Zoom seems quite sensitive to it.

Computers are plugged in via ethernet.

Broadband monitor from yesterday shows it getting worse until the reboot at ~2pm. The 0.2% i still experience is not enough to show up today..

9b0880f25a412adea479133eb25a7e9b8bd66baa-17-02-2023.png

I notice in the log it looks like a software update happened on Wednesday morning.. the issue started Wednesday night.. coincidence? or is SW download something else..?

Wed 15/02/2023
01:57:24
6SW download Successful - Via NMS
Wed 15/02/2023
01:43:09

SW Download INIT - Via NMS

Checking the Virgin Media service status showed no issues for the area. Following the reboot steps through that process initially said "looks like there might be an issue, check back in 23 hours" but no longer says that.

Anything else I can check or do from my end?

13 REPLIES 13

Koalah77
On our wavelength

That's when mine started too - Wednesday morning. Also have hub 4 and 1gb.

tonight I can't do anything - all tv streaming and YouTube is unwatchable, and tried ringing VM but they were useless.

im SW London area 

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @cauk 

Thank you so much for your first post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with your connection. I have taken a look into this for you and I cannot see anything on our side that could be causing these issues. 

How have things been with the connection since your last post? 

I'm still seeing the occasional spike. Example last night between 11pm and midnight:

cauk_0-1677075128483.png

Hi Cauk, 

Thanks for your post, I am sorry you're having this issue with your broadband services recently. 

I have had a look at your services on my side and can see there is an area outage, which is regarding an SNR issue. 

This is due to be fixed  - 03 MAR 2023 09:20 - but please be aware this is just an estimate, it could change depending on what the engineers find. However, I am sure they will be working incredibly hard to get this fixed as soon as possible for you. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience or disruption this may be causing right now.

Thanks, 

Megan_L

This is still happening. Packet loss re-emerging today on a regular basis, wasn't happening yesterday..

Low-level but enough to interrupt zoom

cauk_0-1678099327342.png

cauk_0-1678147578919.png

Quite irritating, especially during the day when it lags on zoom. Maybe Virgin could spend some more money on fixing the network with the 20% price rise I'm seeing in April? (yes, i'm on a discounted package, so the price rise is significant.. time to accept that unreliable Gig1 is worse than slower download but lower ping and no packet loss on BT?)

Not sure my last comment made sense 😂

Is gig1 just unreliable? Should I go back to a lower speed on Virgin, or move to BT which has even lower speed but about half the latency and no packet loss (at least this was the case last time I used them here..)

Sorry to hear the issue is ongoing @cauk 

I have had a look into this and I can confirm that the fault is still ongoing. The current estimated fix time is currently 14 MAR 2023 10:20. Please bear with our team while they work to resolve the issue for you. They will aim to get the service up and running soon.

In regards to the price rise, We always balance our prices with the need to continue investing in our network, products and services. Like many businesses, we’re experiencing rising costs due to inflation. We are not immune to rising costs, primarily due to wider economic changes from rising inflation.

We’re seeing growing demand for data – with usage growing by more than 10% each year. Last year, we invested more than £2bn in our networks, which contributed to average broadband speeds increasing more than 40%, while helping to make sure our customers stayed connected and were able to keep using our services more and more.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks @akua_a - it's still happening. Do they consider it fixed (it's not) or is the estimated time for fix now delayed?