Menu
VermeerF
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss at 24%, VM doesn't acknowledge it's on their head end / hub (north london)

So I just came off the phone with them for the 4th time. I am experiencing extreme quality drops on streams, rubber banding in online games and more. Completely clueless bunch there at customer support. 

Ping/Speed is fine (9-25 ms consistently, over 12MB/s actual download speed with my 100 connection), just extreme packet loss. All devices, both over ethernet and wi-fi. Did soft reset and hard reset of the 2ac Superhub, no help. 

It spikes in the afternoon and evenings, which tells me their head end has issues / is congested. 

From my pings to the first two hops from my house:

Ping statistics for 62.253.175.130 (tcl3-ic-2-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net)
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 38, Lost = 12 (24% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 21ms

Ping statistics for 212.250.14.74 (74-14-250-212.static.virginm.net)
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 37, Lost = 13 (26% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 21ms

My pingtest with other software looks like this: https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/201900-166167-842b.html. 4000-5000ms spike is too extreme to be a regular latency problem. 

I saw a mod confirming on a related thread that they're aware but that's not useful if there is no ETA. I told them I'd demand a refund on the broadband costs as it's completely useless for me at the moment but I don't want to switch to another ISP. Completely stuck here.

What can I do? Contact an ombudsman? Get my bills refunded?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss at 24%, VM doesn't acknowledge it's on their head end / hub (north london)

to your last question - wait for VM to get to the thread - you have had the doubtful pleasure of help from offshore - the help from VM here may not solve your problem but you will get facts - as to refunds etc - that will only happen if there is a proven fault and you get an on going fault number

stick with the 2ac would be my advice - offshore would [maybe] want to give you a hub3 - thats not going to help i would suggest

whilst waiting for VM to get to the thread you could post levels from the hub

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
VermeerF
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss at 24%, VM doesn't acknowledge it's on their head end / hub (north london)

Here you go:

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

downstream is fine - upstream is as high as it wants to be - no idea if thats the problem - wait for VM to get to the thread - they may want to get those levels down

Tony
0 Kudos
samuarl
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You're wasting your time mate. It's an issue widely reported by customers in VM area 15. It's been ongoing since mid December, reported widely here and to customer support by phone. There's plenty of supporting evidence in these threads, most tellingly the peaks on everyone's packet loss graphs match up almost exactly. It's predominantly hurting gamers at the moment, many customers just web browsing may not notice an issue at all so it may be under reported.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Large-packet-loss/td-p/3901769

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Steps-to-fix-Area-15-issue-Packet-loss/td-p/3905...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/packet-loss/td-p/3901146

You just get the same faf everytime you call offshore. Restart modem, book engineer, then book a second engineer when the first couldnt resolve it etc. ad nauseum. Its all a waste of time, the issue is not at your end it is at VM's. I would speculate they are aware of the issue but unwilling to assign a fault number or publish it to the service status page purely due to the number of customers affected. Wouldn't want them all requesting refunds for the past 3 weeks of degraded service and however long it continues for.

You mention a mod in another thread said they were aware but its all just lip service. Without a fault reference and with nothing showing on the service status page - there is no way for impacted customers to follow up with the call centre (who still don't recognise this as an area issue), no time frame and now way to be able to claim credit for degraded service.

Either way at this point, your best bet is to begin making a record of your contact with VM and setup a monitor to record packet loss not just latency incase you need to go to the ombudsmen later if this is ignored for 6 weeks. Eventually you should have enough evidence of the service being unfit for purpose and be able to leave your contract early without financial penalty. If you have no choice but to stick with VM you could use it to support a request for account credit when/if it gets recognised as an official issue.

Tudor
Superstar
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do not assume it’s a general area 15 problem. I’m in area 15 and have a perfect connection. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
ravinestan
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have you got a BQM up to show us? I've got a connection in N1 and E8 and both mirror the exact same packet loss on BQM.

0 Kudos
Afterburn
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just because YOU are also in Area 15 and don't have any issues doesn't mean the problem is not related to users in Area 15.

Some regular mentioned in an older thread that these are just billing areas anyway, the problem is clearly centered around the 'area' of North London, N postcodes, Area 15 billing area, etc.
Highlighted
all129
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not just N postcodes.  Same issue reported as starting at the same time by users in E8 and E9 at least. 

Once upon a time we'd have been posting our locations, pings etc to the Blueyonder usenet group where they'd have been read by the Telewest people who designed/managed the network, and they'd have told us what was up, and what to expect by when. 

O tempora o mores.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi VermeerF

Thanks for getting in touch about the issues you were having at the time of your post.

Our Network teams have been looking into this for the region and believe they have resolved this.

Can you let us know if you are still having problems?

Running tests on your service this morning everything looks good right now.

Keep in touch.

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos