cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss and ping spikes in online gaming

Chris84
On our wavelength

Hello

We rejoined Virgin a few months ago on the 200mb package and initially had to be connected to next door due to a damaged cable to the street.

We were fully connected a month or so ago but since then we have still continued to see regular packet loss, rubber banding and very high pink spikes in online gaming via PS5 (wired). 

We have restarted the hub 3 several times and done the 60 second pinhole reset twice recently (2nd time as I couldn't regain access to the router settings page) and it hasn't made any difference.

I set up a broadband quality monitor yesterday night which is currently running, hopefully this is the right link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/863a7141dff2613039b2820604115d1293c79e96-07-08-2021

In addition we have had a lot of issues with our wireless, mostly to the virgin 360 box downstairs. It regularly struggles to load the saved page, making it difficult to watch recordings. Streaming is also pretty much a no go. 

The diagnostics page always shows it as having low speed and it usually connects with around 60-80% signal but also sometimes fails to connect at all. 

Wireless on our mobile devices also seems to go down every so often for short periods but my phone, a Galaxy s20 FE 5G, still normally tests between 150-200 Mbps on speedtest.net even when stood next to the 360 box that is struggling to connect.

I have also just re-scanned the living room where the 360 box is with the WiFi blackspot scan on the Virgin Media Connect app, with my phone directly next to the 360 box and it said the signal was "great".

Sorry for the long post, if anyone can offer any help with these issues we would be very grateful.

Thank you. 

38 REPLIES 38

Chris84
On our wavelength

Thank you Akua. 

Chris84
On our wavelength

Hello 

We had a very helpful engineer named Luke visit us yesterday to look into our issues. 

He found an issue on his device with our frequencies and he said this was the case at the cab at the end of our street as well as the boxes on our house.

He fitted a new splitter at the back of the house, replacing a very old telewest one and did some other work to try and fix the issue with the frequencies.

He believed that the way we have been wired up by Virgin may also be having a negative impact on performance and causing our issues with high pings etc.

He said he would report back that we need our wiring changing but also said that I should contact Virgin myself to request the same.

He was surprised to see that Virgin have set us up with 4 boxes on the outside of our home (it is not a large house) and that the cable which connects to our router on the front of the property goes all the way around to the back of the house, through 2 boxes, then into a splitter in a 3rd box and then all the way back around to the front of the house and into my bedroom to connect to the router.

He recommended that we should have a splitter in the first box with the cable for the broadband going straight up and into the router and then the cable for the TV going round to the back of the house.

Any excess boxes should then be removed. 

He said that there can be a charge for this but seeing as though this issue has been ongoing for nearly 18 months and several engineers have visited and failed to identify this issue as well as remove the 20+ year old Telewest devices, I do not believe it would be fair to make us pay out to fix issues Virgin themselves have created.

Can someone please let me know what the next steps would be to arrange this?

Thank you. 

Thanks for coming back to us @Chris84.

I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,
Steven_L

Chris84
On our wavelength

Thank you Steven. 

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @Chris84.

I have arranged for the appointment, and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign into My Virgin Media and you’ll see your appointments on your account dashboard. However, this can take up to 24 hours to be updated. 
Regards,
Steven_L

Chris84
On our wavelength

Hello Steven 

Is that for the [MOD EDIT: Sensitive information]?

I can see it on the website but not on the app. I haven't received a text about the appointment yet. 

Is that the only time slot available for that day?

Thank you. 

Hi Chris,

We would advise not sharing personal details or appointment details publicly here on forums. To confirm your appointment date and time, please check your my VM account under the tab "my orders or appointments" https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn. You should also receive a text closer to the time of the given appointment.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Chris84
On our wavelength

Hello Akua 

Apologies for that, thank you for your response. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem,

To clarify were you able to see the appointment?

Let us know,

Kain