cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss and unreliable connection

jgforrest
Tuning in

My broadband went down yesterday and this morning I'm getting some quite heavy packet loss (approx 12% or more). Is this endemic or can anything be done? I'm on 1G with the Hub in modem mode. Tests from the VM portal say no fault, they mustn't consider packet loss to be an issue.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2aaea8616cf124b245de1ff1ac90cb391a...

Ping statistics for 142.250.200.3:
Packets: Sent = 101, Received = 88, Lost = 13 (12% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 14ms

3.1 Downstream channelsChannel ID Lock Status RxMER Data (dB) PLC Power (dBmV) Correcteds (Active Profile) Uncorrectables (Active Profile)
159Locked40-2.110643444945

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for coming back to me @jgforrest and I can appreicate your slight frustration in not fully knowing what's happening in the local area.

I will seek to obtain the reference number for the outage and see if a manager can access the notes left by the engineer to see if this sheds any further light on it

However, on some occasions the notes can give very little away as they're mainly used for internal purposes only. Hopefully I can decipher the brief and possibly tech jargon-like notes and have some form of answer for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn   

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

lotharmat
Community elder
Are there any local outages?

The most useful and up to date info comes from the 0800 561 0061 number. Try that to see if there are any faults that the web service hasn't picked up!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks.  The automated line said they were “improving the service in my area”. I’d like to believe this is true but it often feels like the status updates aren’t directly related to the issue.  They say it will be out until 3pm but it’s packet loss not an outage. It’s down to about 4% packet loss now so hopefully I’ll be able to work. 

CHeck it all after 1500 hrs - Maybe reboot your hub after that time to see what it re-negotiates with the CMTS!

It’s back now. Died completely for 10 minutes then came back with a more reliable connection. <1% packet loss. 

Good Morning jgforrest, 

I've been able to look into the local area and can see that the outage is currently still open and is due to be resolved on 14/07/21 at 09:55am

Do please come back to us beyond this time frame and we'll seek to take a closer look into this for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thanks David,

my connection has been stable for the last couple of days, hopefully will stay that way. Interested to know what’s still being worked on if that can be shared. 

thanks again,

jeff. 

They rarely do - probably just kit replacement!

Not unusual but it’s a shame.  Being more open builds trust. If a piece of kit failed or someone dug up a cable that’s useful to know instead of imagining someone just didn’t do their job (or whatever). Seemed to be a fairly large outage as the sun were reporting on it. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/15442812/virgin-media-broadband-down-customers-offline/amp/

Thanks for coming back to me @jgforrest and I can appreicate your slight frustration in not fully knowing what's happening in the local area.

I will seek to obtain the reference number for the outage and see if a manager can access the notes left by the engineer to see if this sheds any further light on it

However, on some occasions the notes can give very little away as they're mainly used for internal purposes only. Hopefully I can decipher the brief and possibly tech jargon-like notes and have some form of answer for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn