Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss Is Becoming A 'Thing'

xoxShwingxox
On our wavelength

Hi all!

New to the VM Community forums - please be gentle 🙂

I've currently got the Gig1 Fibre package, but recently have noticed what I suspected was increased levels of packet loss. The main giveaway was rising levels of lag & rubber banding whilst online gaming.

In order to check this I setup a BQM via thinkbroadband - and here are a selection of graphs from the last 2 weeks...

7-7-21.png

9-7-21.png

17-7-21.png

18-7-21.png

21-7-21.png

Does this look normal? I know you will always get the occasional loss, but this seems more than that, and happening fairly regularly.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks!

107 REPLIES 107

Hi @xoxShwingxox,

Sorry for the delayed response here. I've investigated the matter further, and upon checking the line using the details you provided to sign up to the forum, the system is detecting a known service fault in the area which we are working to resolve.

The current estimated fix date/time is approximately 9:00am on October 11th. Apologies for the ongoing inconvenience that this will cause for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi @Dadice,

I am very sorry to hear you're having similar issues. I can see that you've already posted about this on a different thread where one of my colleagues has reached out and began assisting you.

Please respond there if you need any more support and help with your service issues.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks for getting back to me Zach.

I feel this is going to be the usual 'fault' detected in area delay tactics, and when 'fixed' nothing will have changed - but of course I will be more than happy to be proved wrong.

As usual there is nothing in the 'service status' to indicate any sort of area issue, and upon running the test anyway option, it reports back that everything is fine (which of course it isn't).

Can you please advise me what happens when / if this area fault is fixed, and I still get horrendous packet loss? At what point is a line drawn under all this? Surely you don't expect a customer to just shrug their shoulders and accept that this is all ok, and do nothing more?

At this point the issue seems to be pushing along 1 week at a time - you reply to me, I reply back, and we wait - rinse & repeat.

That's why I need you to tell me exactly what will happen if I'm still getting packet loss come the 12th October.

Many thanks.

Yesterdays graph for the lols...

Untitled05-10-21.png

Can't believe how bad the packet loss has become. This is from earlier...

Screenshot 2021-10-07 10.10.54.png

Hi @xoxShwingxox,

I've checked the fault discussed earlier in this thread, and it appears it has been closed as resolved. Are your issues ongoing for you today?

If they are, can you please share a link to your live BQM so that we can check your connection there?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Hi Zach.

Forgive me if I don't come across as in any way surprised that this supposed fix had anything to do with my issue (which is now 3 months old). I know it's not your fault, but VM are a joke.

So here we are, another week down the line, and still the packet loss continues (if anything it's got worse). I have included a live link below to the BQM as requested.

Can you explain to me what happens now? After 12 weeks / 4 engineers / lots of discussion, where do we go from here? Surely someone has the answer? I can't imagine if one of my neighbours decided to move to VM tomorrow that they would have this issue / be left with this issue, on the installation of a new account / line. So why am I ? Do whatever needs done. Remove everything from my setup / account and redo as if new - whatever, it just needs fixed!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/13295cfe2929246a197576ffda0cf6ebaf... 

Hi there xoxShwingxox

I am sorry this is ongoing for you.  We're liaising with the field based managers for your area.  Can you please confirm again that the issue is impacting all aspects of online gaming and not just one game/server?

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee.

I mean no disrespect but I would have thought the VM Forum team would know how the thinkbroadband BQM setup works - as you are the guys that recommend we use it for testing purposes.

The BQM is running 24/7 as a separate diagnostic tool, completely independent of any game or web servers, and as you can see the reported packet loss over the last 3  months has been horrendous.

But just to reconfirm, it's all game servers / it's all voice chat services and it's all media consumption that is affected to varying degrees depending on the current loss pattern.

Many thanks.

You BQM for the last 24hours look clean!

No packet loss.

Don't tell me they fixed it?

Yep, noticed that, but not getting excited just yet.

This happened before where I had 2 or 3 days clear before the loss was back with a vengeance. If it's still clear at the end of the week then I may celebrate (it's terrible that I feel the need to celebrate receiving a service that I've being paying for!).

I just don't see what VM have done to 'fix' this (potentially), would love to know if we get to end of week.

Let's wait and see 👍