Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss Is Becoming A 'Thing'

xoxShwingxox
On our wavelength

Hi all!

New to the VM Community forums - please be gentle 🙂

I've currently got the Gig1 Fibre package, but recently have noticed what I suspected was increased levels of packet loss. The main giveaway was rising levels of lag & rubber banding whilst online gaming.

In order to check this I setup a BQM via thinkbroadband - and here are a selection of graphs from the last 2 weeks...

7-7-21.png

9-7-21.png

17-7-21.png

18-7-21.png

21-7-21.png

Does this look normal? I know you will always get the occasional loss, but this seems more than that, and happening fairly regularly.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks!

107 REPLIES 107

Hi again.

It's now over 2 months since I flagged my ongoing issue, and still I'm facing unacceptable packet loss.

Now, in the interests of fairness things haven't been quite so bad over the last 2 weeks (with there being more non packet loss days than not), but I'm afraid the service is still not fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality, and as described.

With this in mind I would like to request what my options are, as at this stage I just want to be released from my contract without cost in order that I can go to an ISP that can give me what I'm paying for.

Can someone please get back to me - thanks!

FYI... Even though I've had more non packet loss days over the last 10 days or so, here are a few examples of days when the packet loss hit back...

Pic1Pic1Pic2Pic2Pic3 (no massive single packet losses - but lots of small blips)Pic3 (no massive single packet losses - but lots of small blips)Pic4Pic4

Thanks for your reply and update, xoxShwingxox,

Sorry to hear of your ongoing connectivity issues. Our records show that you have spoken with our telephone team since your post. Has your connection improved since then?

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi Corey.

Wow, this just shows how bad VM have become (not you guys on here I have to say - you've all been very helpful from day 1).

I have not been in touch with anyone on the phone regarding this issue - in fact, I've refused to phone - let me explain why.

I sent a complaints email to the appropriate department weeks ago, and since then have had nothing back but 'template' answers. Amongst other things each time they have asked that I contact your technical department to get help - and each time I've told them that we've past this stage and that I've had 4 engineers out (somewhat better than speaking to someone over the phone). But they choose to ignore this vital bit of info, and keep regurgitating the same spiel.

On top of this, I received an out of the blue SMS message from VM yesterday (12.30pm) saying...

"Hi this is Virgin Media. We've fixed the network issue affecting your services. Please restart your equipment and wait 30 mins. Still stuck? Reply with HELP."

??????? Completely out of left field, but, as requested I did what they asked. And its made no difference (surprise surprise).

Honestly at this point I've had enough of the template replies / ignoring my questions / lies / failure to deliver a service that is not fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality, and as described. I just want to be released from my contract without penalty (can you look into this for me Corey / Forum Team).

Once again, and I stress, none of this is to do with you guys on this forum - I've found everyone very helpful and friendly from the start!

I await your reply...

BQM graph for today (so far). It's nowhere near the worst packet loss day, but nonetheless is still unacceptable (especially when it happens as regularly as it has - for well over 2 months now!)...

Untitled28-09-21.png

Last 24 hours fyi...

Screenshot 2021-09-29 16.18.56.png

Hi @xoxShwingxox thanks for getting back to us.

I am sorry your packet loss and connection issue is still ongoing.  Before I send a technician for what I fear could be a wasted visit, I am going to contact the field based managers on your behalf.  When I have an update, I will get back in touch on here.

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks Lee.

100%  it would be a wasted journey for a 5th engineer to call out, unless he knew something the others didn't.

I just don't understand why VM can't, through a process of elimination / diagnostics, find what the issue is. It's not as if you lease the line or equipment from a third party - it's all yours! It's also not a case of me imagining a packet loss issue, or Vm having to take my word for it - as you can clearly see the constant problem via the thinkbroadband BQM.

All I want is just a working service that is fit for purpose.

Thanks.

FYI... Here's my last 24 hour graph

Screenshot 2021-10-01 20.04.47.png

And here's todays graph... things can't go on like this...

Untitled02-10-21.png

*** UPDATE ***

Just went to the service status part on the main VM website, and as has always been the case it's reporting No Known Issues. I ran the Test anyway and for the first time ever I got the following message on screen... Not sure if it helps any, as all 4 engineers that have come out are aware there's an issue, but this is the first time I've seen the system self diagnose a problem.

Untitled.png

Only 4 engineers?

They are becoming more efficient everyday.

Well, there goes another weekend without online gaming...

Screenshot 2021-10-03 19.54.48.png

Im pretty sure they know about this and they just ignore it in hopes the problem goes away because they dont want to invest time/resources into fixing it.
I have this issue now for almost 2 years.
Numerous calls/Forum post/Online Chat complaints/Engineers and nothing changed. There are better weeks when i can actually use the service and there are days where i cant even watch a film online let alone play anything. The last time i used the online chat function the "Agent" tried to offer me services for x amount of money on top what i pay now. This is a joke for them probably. 

BMQ 
This is what mine looks like. The useless LOOPs i had to go on with made it even worse. LEt alone i cant use the service i have to listen to people who have no idea whats going on. A Different person every time offerind the same useless "solutions" like "Did you try and restart the router" "Have you checked the cabels"... I dont mean to be rude but it seems like a LOT of incompetent person works for WM.