Menu
sbid3d
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PCoip connection issues after hub 3 update

Hi all,

I received an email from Virgin stating that they had updated the wifi on the hub 3 with "intelligent wifi" - I received the email the very same day I was unable for the first time (after a year of WFH) to connect my Teradici PCoip succesfully. I haven't been able to connect succesfully since. Upon calling Virgin (twice) they denied the email was legit and said it was a scam or phising email. Now I am seeing others posting they got the same email, so what is going on here? 

I have swapped all devices and ethernet cables out (the box is connected over ethernet) and even tested the teradici at a friends house; all working fine. So, I am left with the only possibility that it's the hub and/or my connection since the update. Other devices seem able to connect okay. 

It's ridiculous if the update has actually happened and yet customer services are saying it's a scam. I feel completely fobbed off and I'm losing working hours trying to get this thing fixed.

0 Kudos
sbid3d
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: PCoip connection issues after hub 3 update

An update, in case anyone else encounters similar issues. 

Firstly, Virgin finally confirmed there was an update but it took many calls and many very unhelpful people to get there. 
As mentioned before, I took my equipment to a friends house and confirmed it was working, additionally my company sent me a second teradici box to confirm this and indeed it suffered from the same issues. Bringing this to Virgin I got absurdly unhelpful response ranging to "we don't support that VPN" (it's not a vpn) to "there's nothing wrong and therefore you have to talk to your company, it must be their end". 
I did finally get one very helpful operator who took my request for a new superhub at face value with the evidence I presented with no questions asked. That was very helpful, although I had to wait until Tuesday for this. 
In the meantime the guys in the office ran tests with me using Iperf3 and we established that the problem was with UDP traffic not getting through at all - given that the teradici uses UDP this seemed like the cause. Again, nothing helpful from Virgin at all on this, in fact it was more or less complete denial of the problem. 
When the new superhub 3 turned up I installed it and was immediately back up and running, teradici connected. 
From this I can only speculate that there was a problem with the update as originally thought - why else would the superhub stop working with the Teradici traffic overnight? Bit of a mystery but certainly something that should be investigated.

For anyone that may encounter similar issues I found these threads helpful (regarding UDP problems)
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/UDP-issues-on-SuperHub3-collective-thread/td-p/4382720

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/My-350Mb-connection-is-throttled-to-10Mb/td-p/3953746/pag...

I'm glad that simply replacing the superhub fixed the problem but I have to make a number of complaints: 
1.) Trying to get a replacement hub sent out to me was like trying to draw blood from stone, despite me presently various evidences of a problem, which leads to the next point;
2.) Very poor troubleshooting and almost complete dismissal of my points, with a recurring suggestion that it must be my equipment, even after I had tested at another property served by Virgin on the same street, with no issue. How many times must I reboot the hub?
3.) Complete ignorance of the UDP problems (as per the above threads) - when we had narrowed this down with the iperf3 tests, the call operators just didn't know what to do with it and the only commentary was that because watching youtube and web browsing was fine, the connection had no issues whatsoever. 

This cost me several days of downtime, during which several operators promised callbacks from supervisors that never materialised. Completely unacceptable in the current situation. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Try with the hub in modem mode with a PC.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sbid3d
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I tried in modem mode with and without routers attached; neither modem mode nor router mode fixed the issue. 
With the replacement hub it's working now in any case.

0 Kudos