cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Own router page refuses connection. Can virgin block my access?

slimcraigy
Dialled in

Hello all I recently bought a router to see if it would help speeds in the house after upgrading to a hub 4.

Had the router 2 days and was able to access wirelessly via log in page (correctly typed in browser) through phones PC etc.

Now I can't do this on all devices, browsers etc. it says refused connection I and am wondering could virgin be blocking me?

I did tell them on the phone I had bought a router and was unhappy as I was struggling with range and it was an hour and 3 departments to get the 2nd of 3 wifi pods sent to me (my package entitles me to).

I found the first day I could connect, refused did a reboot of PC and was fine.On day 2 (after speaking to them) it refused connection to both virgin hub and router page.Can access hub now though.

Can they block my router access just by me saying I was unhappy at that time with speed/range?

I don't know who is modding this community so have to be careful what I say but have pinged it and received responses back.

Read the router I had has an aggressive default DHCP query mode whatever that is and thinking maybe that had something to do with it.

I have done hard resets, reboots new names etc. to no avail.

Can anyone help me I asked virgin and they said they don't do that but the timing is odd.

I just think if I send this back and get another router/ mesh network would the same issue happen?

Can anyone help at all? I am happ(ier) with the range and speeds though they are dropping again but the high end router was a good back up lots of features. Thinking of sending it back now.

Thanks and regards Craig

11 REPLIES 11

jem101
Superstar

OK well I can categorically say that no VM can't deliberately block your access to your router (and frankly if they were able to it would be illegal under the 1990 Computer Misuse Act).

So let's look at more likely situations, what router is it, and have you put the VM hub into modem mode first? 

Hi jem101 thanks for the reply its good to know that is a violation. Sorry about long post.

Yes I did put the hub into modem mode initially to connect ran speed tests on an Asus ac86u hoping for higher speeds and range but speeds were similar, range was better vs hub 4. After the reviews I hoped for better.

Then I received a wifi pod and changed back to router mode to back to back compare speed and range of hub 4 with pod vs Asus ac86u.

Again similar but probably higher speeds with hub 4 plus pod and better range than the Asus.

I bought Asus due to a VM engineer who installed the hub 4 and extra box - he said a router would be good/better than hub 4. Then next visit (due to further problems on 1 gig service) said mesh system would be better.

The Asus and Hub 4 in router mode seemed to work ok together really. Both together occasionally giving better overall speed/coverage on phone and an old PC(with ordinary network card and one 2.4/5g dongle).. Probably counter intuitive to use 2 routers and not 1 dedicated.

Strangely speeds on hub 4 seemed to go up to record levels of 150mbs (on phone) over 2.4g occasionally in most places in the house when I downgraded from  the 1 gig to the m600 package. Was thinking was it a software update? Every time virgin seem to do something on their end speeds/ stability increases.

Wish I had left alone but tried a factory reset on the Asus and had to reconnect and reboot hub 4 again. Speeds went down on hub 4. Didn't change back to modem mode.

Since 2nd pod arrived virgin had to manually remove/add the pods back to my account. speeds went to about 90mbs. Tried changing to less congested channels though it always freezes when applying settings/ says someone else logged in. Pods need channel optimisation on though it doesn't work IME and they stick to same bad channels. Another reboot of hub 4 to get pods back working and speeds lower.

I probably haven't tapped anywhere near the full potential of the Asus and features it could offer so is this a case of try modem mode again see if it changes or is something else going on? I am a bit scared to touch the hub 4 again now.

So my decision to buy a router may have been premature but influenced. I just want to get this resolved as soon as possible so if I can access the router via PC/Phone I can decide whether to keep and maybe get an aimesh setup in future if this can be resolved (whether another asus aimesh node or standalone mesh). Or stick to hub 4 plus pods. I cant think about getting another system if this refuses connection anyway

Any suggestions appreciated. regards Craig

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try connecting the Asus again in this sequence.

Note that Pods do not work with a Hub in modem mode.

Put your router into DHCP mode - then remove all cables switch it off at the mains
Put Hub into modem mode - leave it 5' and then switch it off.
Switch your router on - then connect the ethernet cable to the Hub
Switch Hub on - leave 5-10 mins - and it should now be connected optimally.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello John thanks for the reply. 

I may have seen your steps before while browsing this forum thanks. Can't remember if I went through them again.

I forgot to mention I can connect via ethernet occasionally to settings page just not wirelessly which is a pain tbh due to location. Does this change anything? Its wirelessly connection refuses.

I am afraid that as the hub 4 and pods are working now with better speed/range than the Asus. If I mess about again I may not be able to get pod or the 1 that works to connect again.

Virgin had to remove and add pods again once before which took a lot of time and getting to correct department is hard. I think they are getting annoyed by my calls.

Also started the Asus return process due to the wireless issue with a large retailer (names allowed?). And resetting doesn't fully wipe all logs if I have to send it back.

I did say I was trying to get it working during the 7 day qr code they sent. I then panicked contacted them and they sent another code. I should've said wait I'm working on it.

I don't want to get in trouble with them by working on it after agreeing a return. Maybe I should contact and ask.

Also don't want to be worse off having to keep it. Of the speed/ range is worse than virgin range/ speed one pod. The other one I don't think works.

I was thinking about mesh systems on a recommendation but if I can't resolve this problem first will it continue with the mesh? Looking at the orbi rbk50 deal that ends today and Nova mw12 are they good?

The Asus firmware never resets to default either. Always most recent in case it's a bug. I like the GUI also and features. Was wrong type as it's at back of TV not under shelf unit.

Expecting last pod soon and virgin may need to connect that one also.

I'm just afraid of losing the better connection I have with hub and pods which was amazing at one time on both 2.4 and 5g before I reset the hub to reconnect the Asus. Now 2.4g is sluggish and erratic again. Lot of 2.4g devices.

Hub settings freeze when applying. I'm somehow split on channel 1 and 11. Assuming pods are also using WiFi analyser. I chose those after experimenting. Thought channel optimisation was supposed to work.

Would be nice to know this can be resolved without upsetting everybody else in the house already happy with the internet.

Maybe I will risk it I don't know yet.

Sorry for long post thanks John

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@slimcraigy wrote:

I did tell them on the phone I had bought a router and was unhappy as I was struggling with range and it was an hour and 3 departments to get the 2nd of 3 wifi pods sent to me (my package entitles me to).

If you got your own router you don't need the pods which only work with the hub in router mode.

With some browsers now blocking HTTP or HTTP to HTTPS you may need to disable in your browser to get to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi legacy1 thanks for the reply. 

I know about the pods and router mode. I probably prematurely bought it before pods came. The pod have extended range and speed beyond Asus capability.

Since I compared hub 4 range and speed with Asus the hub 4 has been winning range and speed with pod. Asus range to conservatory 3/4 bars.

Hub 4 range 2/3 bars then 4/5 bars with pod. Speeds better too no idea how?

I thought the ac86u would be vastly superior in speed and range. Was influenced by the engineer who fitted hub.

How do I disable the HTTPS / http. Does it have dangers?

Have tried looking how to in Firefox and Chrome and will continue. My version of firefox differs to instructions I saw.

I can get to the 192.168.0.1 for hub 4 settings wirelessly. Just not 192.168.1.1 except occasionally with an ethernet cable in which due to location is a real pain. Right in front of TV I would have to connect to access settings.

Have just checked the 192.168.100.1 I haven't used and that took me to hub 4 page.

Both the 0.1 and 1.1 went down temporarily on that day but only the hub 4 0.1 started allowing access wirelessly since.

Why will it allow one now and not the other?

I didn't have any issue till that phone call and possibly sounded a bit frustrated on the phone. Not disrespectful it's not my nature I can't argue with anyone.

Did start Asus return process already once and then it ran out so panicked and they sent another qr code. Was going to try and fix before requesting another but they sent it anyway. Don't want to get in trouble trying it again or messing my current speed and range up. I have to decide to try again or not.

If this can be solved I may keep it anyway but was thinking about a mesh system. The engineer mentioned them second time. Orbi Rbk50 deal 170 for 2 on at the moment ends tonight. Or the Tenda mw12 Nova. Unless I can create an Asus aimesh but more expensive and can't log in wirelessly.

Obviously I like the Asus features GUI etc. and should have realised I could have put a different shorter Asus under the unit but now this is sat behind TV. Was torn between this and the ax82u ac88u etc.

It's better in long run owning your own. This issue really puts me off I can't keep connecting via ethernet only in front of people watching TV.

Thanks can try if any info how to disable HTTPS in other browsers. Regards Craig👍

Sorry about all the tags on previous post I didn't think they were adding on my phone.

I should probably keep posts precise to the point but the issue still occurs.

Downloaded another browser Opera and still can't connect. It's really strange across phones and PC.

Will it occur with a different router still?

If anyone can help me work it out it would be appreciated I tried reboots etc. Will try modem mode again possibly. My intention was to use this instead of the hub 4. But ATM the pods are helping sustain better range. Hopefully will continue.

I am really unsure what to do keep the Asus it isn't bad tbh just less good than anticipated and it's just annoying to be refused to connect wirelessly. I do hope someone can help me work it better. Stay with Virgin and pods or try and work this out please.

I am just disappointed as Asus seem a too brand and having this connection refused problem is really frustrating.

Sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it and as my Virgin internet is working ok with pods maybe I should leave alone.

What are pros and cons of your own router anyway? I obviously like control but it's not outperforming my ISP at the moment. 

I hope someone can help me get it to work or at least enable non ethernet access.

Any reasons it isn't performing as well as my ISP would be appreciated.

Regards Craig.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
@slimcraigy wrote:

I was thinking about mesh systems on a recommendation but if I can't resolve this problem first will it continue with the mesh? Looking at the orbi rbk50 deal that ends today and Nova mw12 are they good?

The Orbi's are like a BMW and the Nova's like a Lada (perhaps unfair!) - its no contest.

Make sure you get the Wifi6 version - not sure that they are Tri-band though (check it) that feature helps the backhaul and attenuates any speed drops associated with "hops" on the Mesh. In practice you may not need that on the lower speed packages.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John thanks yes the orbi as I don't have many WiFi 6 clients the WiFi 5 triband was on offer 2 for 170

They are Tri band 3gbps Vs the 1800 WiFi 6 dual band.

Dedicated backhaul plus vpn is more appealing at this particular moment except if my budget could stretch to double! It's not quite ready yet.

After I bought the Asus I saw the Huawei ax3 pro and thought damn cud have got 1 of the pro and normal for 125ish and mesh them.

They are WiFi 6 plus. If you believe the hype and I think it's China based so pinch of salt maybe necessary. I do like Huawei though. My phone is Huawei.

I also read good reviews on the deco m9 plus.

Lots of features protection etc. About 179 for 2 and 250 for 3. That's my budget.

Didn't want to go over 200 tbh.

There is rbk353 the 3 pack WiFi 6 at same price.

Though Linksys velop pops to mind too. Read good things to have heard about and although can be had at 50 supposed new one router each I am weary but would be 100 quid saving.

Some are selling 2 I don't know if there are a lot of knock offs but would imagine so. Sellers ratings are good for one and very dodgy sounding for the other.

Can't find the listing but the address includes a*** something so no thanks.

I would use Asus aimesh if I could get in properly but still diagnosing the issue.

Worrying thing is a lot of routers connect using 192.168.x.x so may be a problem for me hence eagerness to fix it.

Asked on snbforums with lots of dedicated Asus people there so hope to solve soon. I think I have 2 networks on same gateway or subnet or 2 DHCP s on same network. I can't do tech it's baffling to me aargh lol!

Give me science any day just not computer science.

Straight over head.

Anyway cheers John Kudos