cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outbuilding WiFi

alex2511
On our wavelength

I am just moving into a new home which is a standard UK 3 bed semi. However it also has an outbuilding around 5-8 metres from the main property. Wi-Fi doesn't reach to the outbuilding adequately.

There is already a cat6 from the main router (Virgin) located in the living room to the outbuilding, and can put a Ethernet Switch but this doesn't give me Wi-Fi in the outbuilding.

(I haven't done anything like this since discovering Powerline at my parents 15 years ago. Before mesh, or at least before I'd heard of it)

I was thinking just to put a Wi-Fi access point type thing in the outbuilding (connected by the ethernet) but I want a seamless network and not have the issues of switching where devices aren't picking up the correct signal

I obviously want to not have drop outs or areas competing for Wi-Fi between two access points, naming confusions etc. I just want it to be as seamless as possible if I move between them. I know old Powerline models was a nightmare when standing between them.

I need to work from the outbuilding so am willing to spend some money to make it all work as good as possible up to a few hundred maybe but I am just after the best solution overall. I don't want to rent pods from VM also seems silly given a ethernet is already in the outbuilding.

(Some research has told me a mesh network could work where I put a Deco X60 (or similar) in the outbuilding and connect it via ethernet - but would this solve the issue completely - do I need one in teh house instead of the hub too?!)

Can anyone please help me?

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A good quality Wireless Access Point would work well. Just two points to consider, 1) make the SSID name/s the same as your present setup 2) Make sure it uses different channels to your existing setup. You should get seamless roaming fine.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

alex2511
On our wavelength

Any recommendations on a 'good quality' one please mate?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This one is a good punt.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WAC104-1200Mbit-s-Black/dp/B01LQ23DU4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.