cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering an additional WiFi Pod

notdodgy
Up to speed

Hello.  I have a single WiFi pod but I am still having issues.

I have WiFi Cameras outside at the front and rear of my property, to the side of the main building where the hub is.
The pod is positioned mid way between the 2 sets of cameras and both sets were working ok.
While the rear ones are working - one is 20 metres away, the front cameras fail to connect to WiFi.

The APP says the signal is ok, however the phone has always reported a better WiFi signal than the cameras.

Bottom line is I need a second pod to boost the signal to the front of the property.

How do I request another pod?

Thank you.

Roger 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @notdodgy, thanks for speaking with us today on the forums. 👋🏼

I'm glad we have been able to order the 2nd pod for you.
The delivery times has been advised on our chat.
If you have any other queries, feel free to reach out to us for assistance.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Roger,

Have you tried by logging into /my-virgin-media , as per the info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max ?

How do I get a second or third WiFi Pod?

If you’re not getting download speeds of at least 20Mbps in every room with one WiFi Pod, you can request a second or third by signing in to My Virgin Media, clicking on Your Package and following the steps in the WiFi Max tab.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Well that worked well.   

Chat bot eventually gave up and offered to connect to a person, but then nothing.

Chat not an effective way of getting in touch

Roger

Tried again today and the online chat is stil not working. 
The automated assistant "hands over to a live person" and it sits there with "Assistant is typing a message..."

Can a member of the team please contact me to arrange this please.
(Previously a  member of the team kindly arranged the supply of the first pod).

Thanks

Hi notdodgy, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one and apologies to hear the one pod hasn't resolved your issues. 

Whilst the first pod can be requested, a second/third pod can only be ordered after diagnostics have been completed and we determine that a Pod is the correct fix for the connection issue. 

I've run most of the checks at this end but to complete them, I need you to complete some checks at your end now. 

If you haven't already, please download and open the Virgin Media Connect App.

Once the App is open select the Broadband option from the bottom menu. This will display the My Devices page. Tap the WiFi symbol in the center of the screen to change to the My Network screen. This screen will show you how many devices are connected to the Hub/each Pod. Tap on a Pod for more information and then tap Connection from this list. 

If fair is showing, this indicates that the Pod may not be in the optimum place for performance. It is advised that you choose another location in the home, allow 2-3 minutes for the Pod to reconnect (wait for the light on the Pod to stop flashing) and then re-open the app and try again. 

The app can be refreshed from the My Network or My Devices page by dragging downwards from the center of the screen. Tap Let's improve it to progress to the Refresh WiFi screen. (Note: Refreshing the WiFi can take up to 15 minutes.) Placement Tips can be used to help you decide where to try placing the Pod within your home. 

Once all this has been done, it should advise whether a 2nd/3rd pod will help. If so, please screenshot this and post here and we'll be able to order the next pod for you. 

In terms of the live chat option, we're aware there is an issue with this and the teams are looking in to this. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello.

See screen shots.   The Pod has a good signal and a number of connected devices.   
(A printer a metre from the pod is connected to the hub!)
The property is semi detached with garage and Utility at the side.  Coverage in the house is great.

The problem is with devices (Home automation / CCTV) at the front / rear of the garage / utility.  The pod connects to the front or the back but not both. 
I had the camera connected earlier today and now it shows offline.  The app reports good connectivity near to the camera - I successfully set it up again this morning with my phone. 
Camera and fountain relay are around 8 metres from the hub and 4 metres from the pod.
It needs an additional pod, with one near the front and one near the rear instead of just one centrally.
(I used to use wifi disks and needed three).

EDIT - Images updated to remove MAC addresses etc.

Camera lost connectionCamera lost connectionPod has good connection to hubPod has good connection to hubDevices connected to pos and some that lost connectionDevices connected to pos and some that lost connection

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know this and I am sorry to hear you need an additional pod.

The best way to get an additional pod is to get it from the Connect app.

If you do another scan on there it should pick it up you need another and from it will allow you to order one. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Unfortunately the app does not help.   
It either reports great or  "Ooops! Something went wrong" - no middle ground.
A flagship phone with Wi-Fi 6 is not the same as a 6 month old camera on 2.4 G Wi-Fi.
When the phone is in a position where it no longer shows Wi-Fi 6, then it fails a test with "Ooops! Something went wrong".

I am also very suspicious of the existing pod.  A home automation device 4 feet away is offline.
A printer 3 feet away is connected to the main hub 30 feet away. 
A nearby Alexa device reports fluctuating Wi-Fi signal.

Tried testing again with the app by the camera that no longer connects and got "Ooops! Something went wrong".
Moved inside to let it do the hub speed test first, returned to the camera and the test passed.
Tried again and the test came slightly lower at 232/50.

The camera briefly connected and 2 minutes later disconnected again.  It can connect if it gets a signal!!

Bottom line is devices are disconnected and the APP will not diagnose the problem. 

If there is no way to get another pod, then I will have to take a backwards step and revert to working the same was necessary with the old hub 3. 
Unplug the pod, turn off Hub Wi-Fi,  put it in Modem Mode and use a separate router / Wi-Fi mesh.

Wi-Fi Max is not living up to it's name.

Given up on the pod option.
Now ordering an alternative.

Hi there @notdodgy 

Thank you so for popping back to us and we are so sorry to hear that you have faced issues using the app. 

If you are still wanting to order the Pod please do let us know and we would be happy to help arrange this. 

Thanks again