cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange light on hub 3

Heathergi85
Joining in

Hi,

I’m having the same problem as a few posts on here. The wifi signal keeps slowing down or dropping out completely and there is a constant orange light on the hub. When I run the diagnostics tests online or via the virgin app, it says there’s a problem but doesn’t specify what it is. I’ve tried resetting using the pinhole button.

Can someone from Virgin check my connections please? 

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See the replies on the similar thread here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Orange-light-Ethernet-doesn-t-work-but-wifi...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks but that’s not relevant to my case. My wifi is the bit that isn’t working, I’m not asking about ethernet. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK

Check this...are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

If both slow and drop at the same time come back here and we can look at connection data

if ethernet connectivity is all ok when wifi drops/slows then your issue will probably be wifi only and not a VM Network connectivity issue - so see this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Heathergi85,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connection issues. How has things been since your post?
I have run a remote diagnostic and have not been able to identify any issues with your connection.
We can also provide online broadband help here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/services-support/broadband
Is the device feeling particularly warm and are you able to try an Ethernet connection so we can confirm if it's device related?
Let us know if you need any further help.

Cheers,
Corey C

covflyer
Joining in

My dad had a new Hub 3 last week and signed up to M350. He also has an orange light on the router, which is located in the bedroom next to the PC. I ran a speed test on the PC and got 25MB! I connected via Ethernet and immediately got 360MB. However, in the lounge directly below the router, we can only get 20-30MB on the laptop and the TV. I have fitted a powerline and there is no difference. Any ideas?

Thanks for your response. 

No, the hub is not particularly warm. The fault is intermittent. We can be on a zoom call and the speed is super fast, then the screen will freeze and be glitching for a few minutes, then be fine again. It’s not good enough when we’re trying to conduct business meetings.
I can’t use an ethernet connection. 

Are you able to send a new hub or an engineer out to check it? 

Hi @Heathergi85, thanks for coming back to let us know.

After checking our systems nothing specific is jumping out as to what could be causing this. Because of this I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details so I can investigate further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules