cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange LED on New Hub 3

MovieFan
Joining in

Hi,

I am new to Virgin and had the equipment installed on Friday 4 March and the LED on the Hub 3 has been bright orange from the start - the engineer artfully avoided answering my question about it.

Reading through similar posts, some people say it's caused by an aged LED in an old hub,or it could be faulty; either way it's not good for a new install.

Should I raise this as a fault?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@MovieFan you have a aging LED in the hub, in itself that isn't going to be a problem. As the LEDs get older the light they give off tends to move towards the red end of the spectrum, so what should be white in normal mode starts to look more yellow/orange and magenta in modem mode moves more to be pure red.

Like I said this won't be an issue, as long as the colour stays what it is now and doesn't become red in router mode, then it should all be fine.

John

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Put the Hub into modem mode and see if the Hub light changes to a "magenta" colour... reddy/purple. And then goes back to "off white" when you go back to router mode.

Note that there is no guarantee that you got a "new" Hub.. they can just issue old and refurbished Hubs (there have been shortages recently) - I dont believe they refurbish the LED's though 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MovieFan

Welcome to the community!

Do you have any connection issues at all or any concerns with the speed? Please try the steps @jbrennand has kindly provided and let us know if this has helped or if you do have any other issues other than the LED colour. 

You can also check here for more information about what the lights mean on your router. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks @Carley_S and @jbrennand,

I switched the hub to Modem mode, but the power light went bright red instead of magenta.

Connected my laptop to the hub with an ethernet cable, but was unable to connect as it showed the connection to be Unknown.

After a panic, I called the tech team and they were able to switch the wifi back on, but I think there were problems as it took them 20 minutes.

The power light is now yellow, rather than orange, which is OK according to the link you helpfully provided.

The only other issue I'm encountering is the range of the wifi, as we can only get a max of 15 mbps when upstairs, which my son was furious about when we swapped to Virgin (my plan provides 200mbps, which is only achievable in the same room as the router).  I've managed to mitigate this by using a wifi extender, but not really what I was hoping for from Virgin.

Do you think I have a faulty hub?

Hi @MovieFan, thanks for the update.

Sorry to see you are seeing issues with the hub still, I have checked over our systems and can't see any obvious reason as to why you would be having this issue. As this is the case I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

@MovieFan you have a aging LED in the hub, in itself that isn't going to be a problem. As the LEDs get older the light they give off tends to move towards the red end of the spectrum, so what should be white in normal mode starts to look more yellow/orange and magenta in modem mode moves more to be pure red.

Like I said this won't be an issue, as long as the colour stays what it is now and doesn't become red in router mode, then it should all be fine.

John