Menu
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Options please

My life is blighted by next doors Wifi! ALL 5 ROUTERS and im not sure how many more are hidden, I know of one. I kid you not

Everything had gone quite until one of the 20 year old twins came home from uni last July, since then it has been up and down with regards to my wifi problems. When they are not on their games machine in the bedroom (we hear them) then my connection into Wolverhampton is a sold 205 mbps as soon as they are playing it can go down to 56 with 8 up. During early summer I changed all my passwords (inc router) and they stopped playing? then it went to following me around on 2.4 and 5 Ghz channels. The kid (20 and still a kid) went back and everything was fine again although I could not use any wifi at the back of our house of just outside, but not a big problem. then about 2 or 3 weeks ago we hear knocking from them at the top corner of what is our connected lounge wall and since then every things gone manky again, and they are playing on their games machine again. Now they have a router on channel 1, 6 and 11, 2.4ghz and 36, 44 and 48 5ghr ALL VIRGIN media (I have triangulated to there house) and a hidden one on 40.

I have been on router select since I changed the passwords then about 2 weeks ago I was having trouble getting a signal up stairs so I went to fixed channels 6 and 44, then these got blocked out so two days ago I moved to 12 (just off 11) and 40 which was free and waited to see what happened, I also reset all the router. No more gaming?

Even 4feet away from the router I cannot connect to the 5ghz wifi and the 2.4 ghz is running at about 50mbps, this hidden 'ac router' as a lower noise than my ac router at 4 feet? We are also gettiing a lot of disruption to our freeview through out the house like the signal lost at the same time as the wifi signal is lost. I will move again to channel 56 but I need some advice

0 Kudos
Cheule
Up to speed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Options please

I feel your pain as our neighbours also occupy 1,6,11 and 36 on the 5ghz band. Sometimes there's a fifth AP but sometimes not.

To alleviate the problem I got (although this wasn't the primary reason) an Asus RT-AC3200 router which has two 5ghz bands, the second being channels 100 upwards.

No one uses those in my area so I have them all to myself 🙂

Vivid 350 - Superhub 3 modem mode --> RT-AC3200
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You don't live the other side of them do you? I cannot connect to 5Ghz upstairs....out of range, my moveable aerials are literally abover the hub 3. 2.4 comes in around 27dbm! but I only get around 90mbps out of 200. 

0 Kudos
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How strange? They have hidden some of the routers. all im seeing is      '…..l hidden'    as if folk think hidden means you cannot see me, no it means I cannot see 'knock knock' your ssid and with the right programs you can also see that also.  BUT! they still are not playing games? unless they have big plasters across their mouths?

0 Kudos
Cheule
Up to speed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very weird and childish behaviour I think.

Is there no possibility of wiring your connections instead and bypass the WiFi problem?

Vivid 350 - Superhub 3 modem mode --> RT-AC3200
0 Kudos
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have gone auto channel again. Any 2.4 ghz channel is basically a no go area for me. I am picking up 3 on channel 1, 4 on channel 6 and 2 (inc me) on channel 11. Not too bad considering our house is brick built with an high iron content so a signal at the front will not reach the back? And I haven't included guest networks nor have l included Virginmedia channels, so double that. There is a gap to the left of us to the next house 25-30m and we are connected to the house to the right.

The Ipads are the worst hit as although they will do 5Ghz they want to do 2.4Ghhz. All of the 5Ghz channels are hidden except for mine. Saturday evening 23:15 8ms into Wolverhampton, 16.54 down and 7 up, (paying for 200) yes they are playing games next door, we can hear them. Everybody keeps telling me it makes no difference that we both connect to the same cable in the street but I cannot see this myself.

0 Kudos
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Things have really gone quiet? There is only me on cannel 11 that I can see and theres only me on channel 44 that I can see. They are still playing on the games machines but quietly. But the one lads back at Uni, my bet it will be crap again when he comes back xmas, think they've read this?

0 Kudos