cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal Settings for Asus ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 with Hub 4 in Router Mode (Gig 1 Package)

kevkdg
Dialled in

Hi,

This is a question for anyone running an Asus ZenWiFi XT8 with their hub in router mode.

Do you recall what XT8 settings you changed from the defaults in order for compatibility with your VM Hub in router mode and/or changes you made to improve range/performance/experience etc of the XT8's.

I have a pair of these devices ready to set up and run as a mesh network with my Hub 4 in router mode on the Gig1 package.

I am confident in putting my Hub 4 into modem mode.  This is more around XT8 settings people may have changed from experience.

Many thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
You need to put the hub into Modem Mode

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I can't speak from experience of the XT8, but as a general rule most mesh systems are best left to themselves and their default settings.  I'd set it up, see how things are and only then consider playing with settings if there's something that looks to need improving.

If you want to run the VM hub in router mode, I disabled the hub wifi and put the xt8  into access point operation mode. Everything else i kept same as default apart from ssid names and passwords, which I put to same as my vm hub.

20211224_061917.jpg

When running hub in modem mode, my xt8 just runs with default settings apart from prementioned ssid and passwords.

For both setups I swapped backhaul mode to wired as opposed to wireless as I'm using ethernet cable between them.

There are some professional wifi settings to change if you want optimise things a bit 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

If you want to run the VM hub in router mode, I disabled the hub wifi and put the xt8  into access point operation mode. Everything else i kept same as default apart from ssid names and passwords, which I put to same as my vm hub.

If you buy a premium piece of kit like an Asus XT8, and put it in access point mode, then (even with the same SSID) you've got competing wifi signals that don't work as a mesh, and you're disabling the top quality XT8 mesh-purposed router in order to rely on the hub's wheezing pound shop router, as well as exposing yourself to VM's flakey router software and occasional unasked for settings changes. 

I'm really struggling to see any benefits from that - seems like buying a Ferrari and then removing the tyres to fit a set of unbranded, part-used remoulds "because they've still got some tread on them, and it seems a waste not to use them".

Hi Gary, 

Care to expand on these parameters and optimal settings?

Many Thanks

@kevkdg wrote:

Hi Gary, 

Care to expand on these parameters and optimal settings?

Many Thanks

https://www.google.com/search?q=xt8+optimal+settings+site%3Asnbforums.com

@Andrew-G wrote:

If you buy a premium piece of kit like an Asus XT8, and put it in access point mode, then (even with the same SSID) you've got competing wifi signals that don't work as a mesh, and you're disabling the top quality XT8 mesh-purposed router in order to rely on the hub's wheezing pound shop router, as well as exposing yourself to VM's flakey router software and occasional unasked for settings changes. 

I'm really struggling to see any benefits from that - seems like buying a Ferrari and then removing the tyres to fit a set of unbranded, part-used remoulds "because they've still got some tread on them, and it seems a waste not to use them".

How have you got competing wifi signals? the Hub wifi is turned off and you are just using the wifi off the XT8??, The 1st XT8 is like 12 inches from the hub and is being used instead of the hub wifi area. The 2nd Mesh unit is upstairs and is being used in mesh mode? The only difference is, that the Hub is doing the routing as opposed to the XT8? The OP asked, how to use the XT8 with the hub in router mode, I have answered the question, I didnt say it was the best way of doing it.

The wifi still acts like a mesh and devices automatically swap between nodes. The nodes still act as 1 wifi network, change a setting on 1 and they are all changed. All ethernet ports still work in access point mode and ethernet can still be used on the hub as well as each xt8 node.

The only reason I change ssids is because I dont want to manually reconnect over 20 devices to wifi.