Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Opted out of Virgin Media WiFi - Still broadcasting SSID

@c_e wrote:

@Ernie_C wrote:

Have you checked the status of your opt in/out in the My Profile section of My Virginmedia?

That was one of the things I checked first - It is set to opt out (and has been for a long time)...

Perhaps worth opting in, leaving it a week then opting out. Once opted out (again), it does say it takes up to 4 days to take effect.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@c_e wrote:

@Ernie_C wrote:

Are you sure it’s you and not your next door neighbour?

Yes, I'm sure it's mine as the VM SSID MAC address & signal strength are the same as my primary SSID. Others do appear but those are broadcast from devices made by arris and not netgear (manufacturer of the superhub 2ac)

Virgin Media WiFi has a different MAC address to that of your Super Hub 2ac whereby the first octet differs but the remaining octets are matched. Does this correlation exists between the MAC addresses?

0 Kudos
c_e
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

@c_e wrote:

@Ernie_C wrote:

Are you sure it’s you and not your next door neighbour?

Yes, I'm sure it's mine as the VM SSID MAC address & signal strength are the same as my primary SSID. Others do appear but those are broadcast from devices made by arris and not netgear (manufacturer of the superhub 2ac)

Virgin Media WiFi has a different MAC address to that of your Super Hub 2ac whereby the first octet differs but the remaining octets are matched. Does this correlation exists between the MAC addresses?

The other networks broadcast from arris devices (that I can detect) have a different first octet, but the netgear I have shows a pretty much identical MAC  address apart from the last number of the last octet.

I think I'm going to opt in and back out again to see if that helps, If that doen't work then I'll back up the config & factory reset it.

0 Kudos