Menu
impatientprada
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OpenVPN, unable to connect.

Hi,

I am sure a few of us here are perhaps running OpenVPN either via RPi or just a VM somewhere. I have recently set it up on my Raspberry Pi, forwarded the port in the SH3 settings but I just can't get any connection.

I have tried a few port checking sites and it seems that the port isn't even open which seems to be the issue.

Anyone here use OpenVPN, perhaps even PiVPN which is what I am trying to do and got it working?

I understand I may need to put the SH3 in modem mode and get something else but I thought id ask the question first.

Thanks

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: OpenVPN, unable to connect.

have you check that web safe is disabled? you'll need it to be.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
deSync
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

i will give that a go. interestingly my VPN connections to a different service work, but my colleagues vpn connections dont. once they connect to a different wifi not from virgin their vpn works.
0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mention of port forwarding implies that you're trying to set up an OpenVPN server on your Raspberry Pi.  In that case, I can't see that WebSafe is relevant.  That would block outbound connections to commercial VPN providers when running an OpenVPN client, but shouldn't have any effect on a VPN server.

In any case, I can confirm from personal experience that there's no technical impediment to running OpenVPN servers or clients on a VM connection (both TCP and UDP work fine) except that there have been reports that the Hub 3 can be problematic with VPN.  You may well need to switch it to modem mode and provide your own router.

0 Kudos