cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only some devices connected

cath8888
On our wavelength

Hi,

I've had this issue for a couple of weeks on and off.  I can be working on my laptop and suddenly it disconnects and states "connected, no internet".  This happens on various devices at various times but other devices will still be online and able to access the internet.  It doesn't just affect my laptop.  This morning I had Wi-Fi on my iPad, opened my computer and couldn't connect, my son's laptops could not connect, my phone could not connect, but my other son was working on his laptop fine and all connected.

If we are lucky a hub reboot will fix it, or will let some devices on and kick others off. 

We upgraded to the Hub 5 which we installed yesterday, hoping it would fix the issue (and improve speeds).  It worked perfect yesterday until my sons came home and then would not let them connect any devices to the wifi.  Turned the Hub off twice and eventually it let us all connect.

I've phoned Virgin 3 or 4 times to be told its a 24 hour stability issue, or its congestion in my area but I don't see how it could be when some devices are fine and others are not.  I don't know much about Wifi/broadband but it seems to me that the Hub is preventing devices from connecting.  I just don't know why.

Has anyone got any idea what's going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @cath8888 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

I am so sorry to hear that you are facing some issues with your connection. I have taken a look and can see that there do appear to be a few issues with your Hub specs and think it would be best if we get an engineer to take a look for us. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Put hub in modem mode and get a router with 1Gb ports or better
---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

Can I suggest install a WiFi analyser app on your mobile phone these are free in the App Store / Play Store.

Have a look at what the Hub 5 is or perhaps is not doing on the 2.4Ghz WiFi band and on the 5Ghz WiFi band

The key question ... Is it transmitting a strong signal on either / both or neither WiFi bands.

cath8888
On our wavelength

Hi,

Thanks, I've downloaded a wifi analyser as you suggested but to be honest I have no idea what I'm looking at or for.  Virgin had said to wait until next week and they will send me a pod (mesh system) but I don't think that will fix the issue as I can be the same room as the VM Hub and still not get connected.  

After reading on here today, I think the way forward will be a router and using the hub as a modem but I'll have to read/research more as I have no idea how to put it in modem mode, or what router to buy.  I've got a 3 story house so I'd need to make sure there's decent wifi up on the 3rd floor too where my sons have their laptops/PS5's.  My brain hurts just thinking about it but thank you both for you help.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A single router will not be the best investment for a three story house. Check out a Mesh system. A lot of users here use Deco M series units. 
As for Modem mode, 100% agree. In all the years with VM I’ve never used any of the Hubs in anything other than Modem mode. 
As you have a Hub 5 consider WiFi 6 units. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there @cath8888 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums.

I am so sorry to hear that you are facing some issues with your connection. I have taken a look and can see that there do appear to be a few issues with your Hub specs and think it would be best if we get an engineer to take a look for us. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Hello again, 

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for your connection – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment