Menu
Seajga
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ongoing issues with hub

I posted the message below last week.  I received suggestions to either buy an extended Ethernet cable or to buy my own upgraded hub.

However, our hub seems to need replacing anyway as we’re now also encountering issues with the hub going off and the V8 TV box suddenly cutting out. I checked for issues in the area and there were none.

Can someone from Virgin Media therefore please respond?

Here is my original message:

Hello,

I still have issues while teaching via MS Teams if my partner is using his laptop (to surf the internet) at the same time.

We have already been advised of, and have tried, the following, to no avail:

1) Installing a Virgin Media booster upstairs (as I work from an upstairs room),

2) An engineer came and fixed some issues with our router

3) The latest suggestion is that my partner (who surfs the Net from the living room, where our router is) should get a wired connection 

In that case, why am I paying extra each month for the boosters??

Any more suggestions out there? Surely, there must be lots of couples out there who need to be on MS Teams at the same time these days - how do they manage it when my partner can’t be on his laptop at all while I’m using Teams??

At my wits’ end and seriously wishing I hadn’t allowed the salesman to persuade me to stay with Virgin this time.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ongoing issues with hub

Did you heed our suggestions last week or not?

If the Hub/TV have developed problems then you should call it in as a fault and see what they have to say. What is the V6 doing and how is it connected to the Hub?

What Hub is it and what do the various lights do/show when you get these issues

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Seajga
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Answers as follows:

The hub light had turned green.

On the second occasion, the hub was fine but while watching a TV programme, the screen kept switching off/going blank and then coming back on again.  This happened several times with less than a minute in between.  The V6 was still on.  We therefore decided to try the same channel on Freeview (via our Smart TV), to see if the fault was with the TV and it didn’t happen again.  

Both issues seemed to be resolved once the system is re-booted (as is the case with the MS Teams issues) but we’re needing to re-boot every few days, for one reason or another.

There are two reasons why I haven’t gone ahead with buying an extended Ethernet cable or a new hub yet:  

1) The above two incidents and the frequency with which we’re needing to re-boot the hub may indicate that a new hub is required in any case.  The boosters we have would also need to be taken away. I therefore wanted to discuss the whole matter with Virgin Media (on a previous occasion, I had received a response from Virgin via the community and they arranged the engineer visit, thereby negating the need to wait on the phone for an hour)

2) The second is a personal reason - I may not be moving to make decisions as quickly as usual because I’m currently off sick, recovering from surgery.  However, I’m trying to resolve these issues before I need to teach via MS Teams again

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Calling is your best option.

Call it in on 150 (VM Phone) or 0345 454 1111 (any other phone) and see what they say when they test the connections. Calling at 08.00 midweek (09.00 Sun) is the best time to get through quickly. Although some people are still reporting getting through fine at other times with no long waits

If you get cut off after an automated reboot cycle, just call back in a couple of minutes as the system should know that you have just been on and it hasn’t helped and put you in the queue. Or try options 1,1,4,4, “thinking of leaving” - they usually pick those calls up quickly and then transfer you to the appropriate queue (or cut you off !).

You can also text them on 07533 051809 include account name/number and what the issue is – replies usually take longer.

A VM person should pick this up here and respond, but it can take 5-10 days for them to get here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.