Menu
Highlighted
Dominic_Swansea
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Old NTL Box and what is this device?

I've just moved into a property and had a technician come to set up my VIVID 350 broadband. My internal box for the coax cable says NTL on it which hasn't existed since 2007. This means the box and presumably the cables are 11 years old?? Should virgin have replaced this?

Also my router is connected to this small device, any idea what it is and why it's needed? Seen nothing similar to it online.

Many thanksreceived_276878989589137.jpeg

received_1970137606342953.jpeg

received_1918287568259034.jpeg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Old NTL Box and what is this device?

Cables that Virgin Media and older cable companies use were originally designed for analogue cable TV services - so this took up a lot of signal space. Digital TV and Broadband can fit into the same signal space.

So unless there has been damage to your cable this means that they're generally fine for Digital TV and Broadband and don't need replacing - only the bits on each end do.

In regards to that small device, it's potentially an isolator. These are now built in to the wall point that Virgin Media install, but weren't always in older installs. These stop any noise feeding back into the network and causing service issues in your local area.

Self-install packs for Virgin Media services always come with cable with an isolator on it as Virgin Media can't tell whether existing cables installs will have one. Having more than one isn't normally an issue.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It looks like a galvanic isolator.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Dominic_Swansea
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the indo, is there anyway I can check if I do have more than 1 installed?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As Ben said, the isolator is usually inside the white termination box but in the old days you might have an inline external isolator. You could open the NTL box and check for the presence of an isolator, but I doubt whether it's there.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos