cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS X Keeps defaulting dns to 127.0.0.1

MichaelTzu
Joining in

Driving me nuts. In sys prefs I cannot set manual IP address but keeps defaulting to using DHCP. As well the dns is showing as 127.0.0.1 and I cannot update as keeps defaulting to 127.0.0.1.

Have tried logging in as different user and same issue. Thing is I am running Win7 in Bootcamp on the same machine (different drive) and works fine.

Anyone with Mac experience got any ideas. High Sierra but ran fine in the past. No issues with Mac Pro so machine specific.

Thanks

Michael

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Time to reinstall your mac.

---------------------------------------------------------------

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You might be better off asking for advice on the Apple Forums

It sounds as if you are a fairly competent user, there may be other Apple users on here who can help, but as this is Apple specific behaviour, i.e. manual DNS settings not sticking, there might be some people there with a better idea of what's happening.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sophist
Trouble shooter

Does the Mac actually resolve DNS names when it's set to 127.0.0.1?  If so, then there is either a DNS server running on the mac, or some sort of DNS proxy running..

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Might be worth having a look here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251624193?answerId=253130822022#253130822022

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I am all Apple gear. Why do you want to set a manual i.p.address. Using DHCP has always been fine for me - no issues.

Can you not simply overtype in the DNS box ?

EDIT Forgot to say - I am in modem mode with an Airport Extreme Router - are you just using a Hub - what model is it (on the base sticker?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yep. I think you are right.

Thanks