Menu
AbuDina
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not told about a problem with VM broadband infrastructure when joining

Joined VM last month after years with BT (decent service high price). Not the best of starts! They sent out what appeared to be a newly trained engineer. FRom the start they struggled to drill the necessary hole through the wall. Their drill wasn't charged etc. To cut a long story short, I had to get the cable through the hole in the end that's how bad it got. From day 1 I suffered disconnections. Router/modem mode makes no difference, constant restarts, disconnection wired/wifi made no difference. Attempted to cancel today but was told I'd have to pay £240 exit fee! I also found out that in our area, two postcodes are specifically affected by an issue that has been going on for almost 2 years, one of which is our postcode! At no point was I made aware of this when I joined. Had I known then what I know now I would have never ever joined VM. Aggressive marketing is on full blast as we were constantly getting VM booklets via post. Not happy... desperate to get out of this!
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not told about a problem with VM broadband infrastructure when joining

As you are getting disconnects on wired equipment, try these steps as a starter.

First, set up a free “BQM” to continually monitor the state of your connection and any dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of all your network disconnections.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing (rabbit chews!). Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here - the downstream, upstream, & network logs. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & don’t include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
AbuDina
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate your troubleshooting guidelines but the point is this:

There exists a problem with the VM equipment in my postcode. This problem has been ongoing for a while (the engineer that came to undo the damage made by the newly trained installation engineer showed me the fault has been outstanding for 18 months!  At no point in during the signup,  was I  made aware of this and therefore I want to cancel my contract without incurring £240 penalty.

Potential customers should be made aware of problems affecting their postcode. I think it's time to contact CISAS I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ah.. ok. Good luck - hope you get it sorted.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) David_Pn
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there AbuDina

Welcome to our community forum pages and thank you for posting. 

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced connection issues since joining us. We appreciate that this must be very frustrating.

So that we can take a look at your account to check some details we'll send you a private message to get some account information if that's OK?

Many thanks. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
AbuDina
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I've sent a reply.

0 Kudos