cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if I need a new hub

Odin5
Dialled in

Our broadband seems to be a bit erratic and has been really slow on occasion and has been dropping in and out and losing connection at random times. We have had our hub 3 for a number of years now and I’m wondering if we need a hub change. Has anyone else been having the same issues/problems lately?

8 REPLIES 8

Odin5
Dialled in

Our broadband seems to be a bit erratic and has been really slow on occasion and has been dropping in and out and losing connection at random times. We have had our hub 3 for a number of years now and I’m wondering if we need a hub change. Has anyone else been having the same issues/problems lately?

Check for a local fault via 0800 561 0061 - it is an automated service.

Hi @Odin5 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear of any broadband issues. No issues are reported when doing a system check, no issues with SNR (signal to noise ratio) or congestion. Your levels are low but in spec. Can you do the following for me; 

Go round all the wiring and make sure all connections are finger tight. Then reboot the router for me. Leave it a day and then can you post your Hub status and logs? How to do this;
• Please go to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode), 
• Don't log in, click on 'router status' 
• Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs as text into a 'REPLY' as opposed to 'QUICK REPLY'. Please do not include your MAC address.
Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Sorry John but that’s going to be too technical for me, plus I have disabilities. Is there nothing you can do from your end? I have rebooted the hub on more than one occasion and I know that all connections are finger tight as every time there is a problem that’s what is always said to check. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What is being reported on.... 0800 561 0061 ?

Also, are your connection issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

The Hub data asked for above would possibly show any connection issues - e.g, low /high power levels, "noise" getting in somewhere, etc

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I would say it’s mainly on Wi-Fi. We have had our hub 3 for about 10 years plus. I’m not technically minded at all that’s why I posted on the community forum, I’m waiting for a reply from John_GS (Forum Team). I don’t really know how long a modem lasts before it needs renewing.

I have looked on downdetector and many many people are saying they are having the same problems with drop outs and very poor speeds during the day but all good over night. Is it a Virgin media problem? They said last week they were fixing it.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Odin5, thanks for all the posts and replies on our help forums and this thread.

We're sorry to see your connection issues are ongoing and you still need help, eager to best assist with this.

Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused and we'd like to ensure you receive all support we can offer based on your needs.

As upon latest checks there are no known area outages that are affecting you currently we'd need to perform further checks.

I can see there are many devices with poor connection that have caused a long-term issue on the service performance but not to worry as this is fixable.

I will send you a private message here soon so we can run our diagnostics.

Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a purple envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs