Menu
Reply
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Johnnwwelch
Tuning in
233 Views
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No wireless connection, SuperHub 2

For the best part of half a year, our Superhub 2 has slowly been deteriorating. What started off as WiFi connection drops has now turned into complete melt down of all wireless connections. I'm constantly told the password is wrong and even when we connect the Internet is none existent. Phones (Pixel and iPhones) will connect then drop back to Cellular connectivity whilst laptops will show no internet connections at all (Mac and Windows). This is after multiple factory resets and calls to support. The only way for the internet to to work is via a wired Ethernet connection. 

So my question is, How will Virgin resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.66K
  • 886
  • 1.34K
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
228 Views
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wireless connection, SuperHub 2


@Johnnwwelch wrote:

For the best part of half a year, our Superhub 2 has slowly been deteriorating. What started off as WiFi connection drops has now turned into complete melt down of all wireless connections. I'm constantly told the password is wrong and even when we connect the Internet is none existent. Phones (Pixel and iPhones) will connect then drop back to Cellular connectivity whilst laptops will show no internet connections at all (Mac and Windows). This is after multiple factory resets and calls to support. The only way for the internet to to work is via a wired Ethernet connection. 

So my question is, How will Virgin resolve this issue?


VM will ultimately resolve the issue for you by sending you a new Hub3 - but you should do your research before accepting one of those.  If you have an avid internet gamer in your household they will not thank you at all !  Also the Hub3 wifi is truly "pants" - not as good as the SH2 was before it failed.  So if the SH2 is connecting fine by ethernet you should really think hard about keeping the SH2 and putting it in modem mode and buy and hook up your own good quality wifi router or access point.  It will knock spots off of any VM wifi kit or solution.


--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Johnnwwelch
Tuning in
221 Views
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wireless connection, SuperHub 2

Have they still not fixed the issues people mentioned prior to it becoming the main hub? I know the QOS is better on the SH3, so isolating connections will be improved. The main issue for me is the family use wireless whilst i'm happy over Ethernet.

I've looked into the options of purchasing a new router and using this one is modem mode, but that defeats the purpose of an Internet Provider. I'd like them to supply a suitable product that I can enhance at my own leisure.

Let's see what they can offer me. With the constant mid contract price increases and strong BT infinity in my area, the outcome needs to be satisfactory.

edit - spelling

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.66K
  • 886
  • 1.34K
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
214 Views
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wireless connection, SuperHub 2


@Johnnwwelch wrote:

Have they still not fixed the issues people mentioned prior to it becoming the main hub? I know the QOS is better on the SH3, so isolating connections will be improved. The main issue for me is the family use wireless whilst i'm happy over Ethernet.

I've looked into the options of purchasing a new router and using this one is modem mode, but that defeats the purpose of an Internet Provider. I'd like them to supply a suitable product that I can enhance at my own leisure.

Let's see what they can offer me. With the constant mid contract price increases and strong BT infinity in my area, the outcome needs to be satisfactory.

edit - spelling


What they will offer you is a Hub3 and the option to buy/rent their "boosters".  IMO its not worth it.  They may at some point in the future supply a suitable product - but if it is wifi you are after - the Hub3 aint it.  The most satisfactory option for me and many others is to remove the BB supplier (VM or BT or whoever) completely out from the wifi equation.  No supplier will guarantee or support a wifi network - so why let them provide one for you.  Plus - you will never have to call VM (or BT) CS again to discuss wifi only issues.  It will be the best <£100 you ever spend and only marginally more than their "booster" plan.


--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Johnnwwelch
Tuning in
209 Views
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wireless connection, SuperHub 2

So as a modem their product is satisfactory? I'm aware I cant go straight from the wall the new router. 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 8.66K
  • 886
  • 1.34K
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
203 Views
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wireless connection, SuperHub 2


@Johnnwwelch wrote:

So as a modem their product is satisfactory? I'm aware I cant go straight from the wall the new router. 


Yep the modems are absolutely fine - its the cheap wifi components they put in the Hubs that are rubbish.  I have had the SH2 in modem mode for years and both by cable (my lads gaming PC) and wifi (Apple Airport Extreme) we routinely get 11ping/220down/12up.

Simply put the Hub into modem mode (easy) then wire you router/access point (make sure its for cable and not adsl and has all the features you need/want) into the hub - power it on - and depending on the device it will instantly connect - or you may have change a few settings things dependent on the router - but doing research on (say) Amazon reviews will tell you how easy it is for each device on VM.  Plus there is always someone on here who knows how to configure any device !


--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 11.7K
  • 347
  • 678
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
170 Views
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No wireless connection, SuperHub 2

Hi Johnnwwelch,

 

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

 

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the wireless connection.

 

I can take a look at your line to see if there are any other issues, however I was unable to locate your account. If you can send me a PM confirming your name, if you are the account holder and full address, that will be helpful.

 

Regards

Sam


New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide


0 Kudos
Reply