Menu
AndyInMancheste
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

No way to opt out of being a Virgin Media Wifi Hotspot

I don't ever want my VM connection to be used as a public Wifi hotspot.

You have a page about this which claims to tell me how to opt out.  As others have mentioned, the option it talks about is not there, so I cannot opt out.

I don't want to wait until you've already turned this on, on my superhub, so I can ask you to turn it off again.  I want it blocked, so it can't ever happen.

This is what your page says:

Register or sign in at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia
    Select My Profile
    Under the Virgin Media WiFi settings select the opt out button
    Click Confirm to apply the changes

- which is all very well, but there is nothing under My Profile about Virgin Media WiFi settings.

Under My Services, there's just

Virgin Media Mail

eBilling

Spotify

0 Kudos
cje85
Super solver
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: No way to opt out of being a Virgin Media Wifi Hotspot

Which hub are you using? Some of the older ones don't support the hotspots service so the option to opt-out isn't there.

Even if it was to happen it's nothing to be concerned about as the hotspot uses a totally separate network to your own WiFi, with a different IP/MAC address and dedicated bandwidth.

0 Kudos
AndyInMancheste
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I tried googling how to identify the superhub version earlier, but I didn't find a definitive answer.

I am aware of Virgin's arguments about why it shouldn't matter to me.  It still matters to me, and I'm the one paying the bill.  I'm not here for a philosophical debate about it.  I want to know how to stop it happening.

0 Kudos
kittycas12
Tuning in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

I feel the same as Andy on this matter I have Hub 3 and when I log into my account there not a opt out 

I feel Virgin have been naughty and we should have been asked first not just turn it on and ask us to op out

vircom
Super solver
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Does not matter to me as I am using modem mode and don't use hot spots. I have just checked my profile on my virgin media (not this forum) and the opt in or out option is there. Are you sure you are looking in the correct place?

One other thing to remember is that it is not your hub (it is owned and maintained by VM). You just pays for a broadband connection of xxxMb. If you want your own router under your full control you, like many, can use modem mode and buy and maintain a router of your choice, which will give you complete control of your network.
0 Kudos
AndyInMancheste
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I am sure I am looking in the right place.

And, again, I am not here to enter into philosophical debates.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hello AndyInMancheste, 

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I can help you opt out of this service, but I'll first need to clear security with you. 

I'll get in touch via PM (purple envelope, top right) with more info. 

Catch you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@cje85wrote:

Which hub are you using? Some of the older ones don't support the hotspots service so the option to opt-out isn't there.

Even if it was to happen it's nothing to be concerned about as the hotspot uses a totally separate network to your own WiFi, with a different IP/MAC address and dedicated bandwidth.

Nearly correct but not quite.  Public hotspot uses the same 2.4GHz channel as user WiFi and will thus contend to the extent that no QoS is implemented. 

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone tell me why I have an opt out option when I log into myvirginmedia.com but Andy does not? I have a hub2 in modem mode so could not provide an access point even if I wanted to.
0 Kudos
47Dave
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

This is odd, as my recently installed superhub 3 has an option on the hub home page to opt in or out of the "guest network". It defaulted to unticked i.e. opt out, and I will leave it that way. I am using the hub in full router and wifi mode (with an ethernet extension to an old BT router I use as a slave). There was no need to visit my VM account online at all.

0 Kudos