cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No one listening on CS about poor performance

thengineer
On our wavelength

Having been with virgin media for over 20 years and been one of first customers to trial broadband in the Manchester area.  Also being a Engineer in comms and networking for many years have identified a fault but no one is listening. Recently have started working from home using vpn with cisco connect. Which works perfectly normally. What I'd happening is the wi fi keeps shutting down on the virgin modem. Having talked to customer services nice bloke in the Philippines however did not understand the technical side and checked stb manager saying no problems. Tried to explain it was wi fi not modem. I love the system virgin use but  am tempted to use the supplier recommended and subsidised through my company. Feel banging head against a brick wall. 

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The wif from VM's Poundshop Hubs is generally "ok" but is also poor for some people - for various reasons. Which Hub model do you have?  If the wifi is genuinely "broken" then of course VM will replace the Hub - if its intermittent - they will usually say its down to your equipment !

You say its not the modem - by that I am assuming that connections on ethernet cables are all working fine - is that correct?

If it is a wifi only issue, then if you have a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location.

Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to 1GB or Ultimate Ooomph package customers others will be charged £5/month. If they are free they are well worth getting and offer a simple solution.  Order via the phone or a VM person will do it here. If not, at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

I did that >20 years ago when the first Apple Airport was released - I have been in modem only mode with my own equipment ever since and now have full control of my own problem free wifi - have you considered doing the same?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for the reply the actual problem is that the WiFi light on the hub keeps coming on dropping all connections the Ethernet is OK. On the virgin app it even confirms that the wi fi is not working and suggests pushing the reset button every other day. It is a very early hub three model. It seems to struggle to run the updated gui that is now in diagnostic. To the point of connection to the hub on 193.168.0.1. Requires reboot to refresh dianostic pages. Works brilliant on Ethernet even hard wired Ethernet to V6 box. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can try calling in on the phone and tell them the Hub wifi is failing and ask for a Tech visit and a replacement. I would guess that the chances of that happening from an Offshore CS agent are.... not great .... but worth a call.

A VM person will respond here in a day or two and may be able to help - but - be aware that at the moment VM have a Hub shortage issue right now (dont ask!) and so agents are being asked to prove its broken before replacing it and only a Tech visit will facilitate that. Also they will often replace a Hub with a second hand returned one (or even an old Superhub if that's deemed acceptable for your package).

Or short circuit the whole VM circus and bung it into modem mode and thus sort it forever by getting your own £40-100 wireless router or Mesh - which will also work with your "recommended supplier" if you change ISP in the future.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Update on issue apparently might be ethernet connection to the v6 box causing problems so now v6 on WiFi seams to have worked 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you try a new Cat6 ethernet cable? Old ones do fail from time to time.

--------------------
John
--------------------

All house wired cat 5 to every room so big job replacing additionally cat 6 only for over 10 gig 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you mean Cat5 - or Cat5e (should be printed on the cable's sheathing).

Cat5 is usually only specced for 100mbps - so chances are you would only get a maximum of around that (which may be fine for you of course). Cat5e/6/7 is specced to at least 1000mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------