cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No laptop net

woody65
Tuning in

Got new router phone connects, newer computers connect but most used old toshiba only works off cable 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Does the old Tosh connect on wifi if sat next to the Hub? If not - is your SSID (on the Hub sticker) appearing in the list of available networks to connect to?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Does the old Tosh connect on wifi if sat next to the Hub? If not - is your SSID (on the Hub sticker) appearing in the list of available networks to connect to?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

No does not pick up any network on WiFi only on cable has only happened since new router other devices ok 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If its not seeing any SSID's in the network connection (and cant connect anywhere?) - then I suspect the wifi card in the Tosh is borked. If it is you can get a USB wifi dongle for less than a tenner.

--------------------
John
--------------------

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@jbrennand wrote:
If its not seeing any SSID's in the network connection (and cant connect anywhere?) - then I suspect the wifi card in the Tosh is borked. If it is you can get a USB wifi dongle for less than a tenner.

maybe - maybe not - maybe the hub is only broadcasting on the 5 band and the tosh is 2.4 - the bands will certainly be the same ssid so log in and and make sure both bands are on then split them and see if the tosh can then see the 2.4 band

Tony.
Sacked VIP

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@woody65 wrote:

No does not pick up any network on WiFi only on cable has only happened since new router other devices ok 

How old is the 'old' laptop? If it sees no SSIDs at all (inc. neighbours?), does it have a wireless switch on the side to turn the wireless on/off (often easily knocked off when carrying around). If not a physical switch, it there a soft switch keyboard combo to turn wireless on/off. Many Toshibas also have a wireless indicator light on the side or edge to show the wireless is on.

Is the wireless adapter running under any Toshiba wireless management programs (Toshiba always used to have loads of pointless bloatware factory installed)?

If you are running a version of Windows, what does the network trouble-shooter report back?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Possibly Tony ... but I read ....

"No does not pick up any network on WiFi "

... as... not seeing their own SSID and/or unable to connect to any SSID at all. 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Yes I think the card is cooked tried Network switch on keyboard Other router not showing either Thanks all for advice will try a dongle 

Hi @woody65

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear that your Toshiba only works on cable connection. We are however glad that @jbrennand, @goslow and @-tony- were able to offer advise regarding this. Please let us know how it goes with a dongle and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs