cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet on ethernet

stephenedger
Tuning in

Have just fitted Netgear GS308 to Superhub 3 viia ethernet to allow wired connection to Windows 10 laptop in my office, but it won't connect to the internet. Laptop CAN connect via WiFi without problem, but looking for something more stable for work.

Network switch has Sonos, and 2x WD MyClouds connected to it and all have internet access, but for somd reason the laptop won't connect. All cables are brand new Cat 6, and have tried swapping them over but not fixed. Have tried cabling straight into Superhub 3, but still no internet unless I rely on WiFi. 

Can anyone help?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Got to be a problem on the laptop then. What happens when you plug the laptop into the Hub directly on an ethernet cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

@stephenedgerHow are you testing internet access, can’t browse to a website? Have you tried the usual troubleshooting methods? Open a command prompt and enter ipconfig 

Does the IP address and specifically the gateway address look right? Can you ping the gateway address (almost certainly 192.168.0.1), can you ping, say, 8.8.8.8 ?

If you can get to 8.8.8.8 then you DO have internet access but there is a DNS issue - check what it has been set at.

Thank you all. Have managed to resolve the issue by resetting network settings on the laptop. All connected and running now.

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is your Hub in modem mode - or normal router mode? If modem mode then the switch has to be plugged int the routers port.

Also try a new ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub and/or router.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply John. Hub in normal router mode (hence WiFi access), and have tried 3 different ethernet cables but still no access. Even did a hard reset on the Superhub but same problem. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Sound like it might be a dodgy switch - is it new?

Is it switched on properly at the little switch on the back and powered up ok?

Do the ethernet cable ends light up/flash when you plug into it

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi John, it is a brand new switch, which is switched on. All ports (6 currently) flashing green (incl. laptop one). I know laptop connected to the network as have transferred files to the WDMyClouds, which are connected to the same switch.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Got to be a problem on the laptop then. What happens when you plug the laptop into the Hub directly on an ethernet cable?

--------------------
John
--------------------

@stephenedgerHow are you testing internet access, can’t browse to a website? Have you tried the usual troubleshooting methods? Open a command prompt and enter ipconfig 

Does the IP address and specifically the gateway address look right? Can you ping the gateway address (almost certainly 192.168.0.1), can you ping, say, 8.8.8.8 ?

If you can get to 8.8.8.8 then you DO have internet access but there is a DNS issue - check what it has been set at.

Thank you all. Have managed to resolve the issue by resetting network settings on the laptop. All connected and running now.

Glad it is resolved!

Thanks for letting us know!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7