cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection to desktop...

Andarney
Joining in

I had to have my router moved from upstairs to downstairs due to fibre phone switchover. Engineer here yesterday (Sat 23/10) to do this. Whilst my tablet downstairs is connected as usual to the router. My desktop is now useless.  Can anyone tell me how I can overcome this situation. I'm disabled and speech impaired.  Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Andarney,

Thanks for your PM.

Here's a page that explains how emergency services will work under our VOIP service. I hope this helps explain things a bit more clearly.

Just let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I presume the desktop is connecting (or not!) over wifi?

The most robust way is to run a Cat5e or 6a ethernet cable from the Hub to the device can you do this or get someone else to do that for you ?

If not then you need to "improve" the wifi signal at the desktop location.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for reply. No internet connection though a booster upstairs so it should pick up shouldn't it. Virgin should not have left it like that.  Changes were supposed to help me because I have a pendant alarm which may or may not work when switchover happens on 27October. Supposed to have left an emergency power pack but didnt. Virgin are a joke!  I'm not paying for someone to run cables all over the place they can come back and sort it out.  Hope they read this.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - I will flag for VM to come to this thread to help you

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks. I tried mobile text this morning but long wait!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Also, check what emergency backup options VM are actually providing. The default is not a battery backup but an emergency backup line (EBUL) as per page 35 onwards in the VM phone guide

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

If the landline via the hub goes down, the EBUL allows the customer to make 999 calls only but nothing more than that as supplied by VM.

They assured me that my alarm would work in the event of power failure, not just 999. I pay for my pendant alarm and it It's not going to work my supplier will have to supply alternative means at a cost to me.  Not impressed with Virgins attention to this is appalling and I can't be only one. Thanks for drawing to my attention.

Hi Andarney,

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your WiFi coverage/pods around the home since your hub was moved to be switched over to VOIP. We're keen to help get this sorted for you and arrange for your EBUL system to be installed.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some details - please do find my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks

Beth

Beth

Hi Andarney,

Thanks for your PM.

Here's a page that explains how emergency services will work under our VOIP service. I hope this helps explain things a bit more clearly.

Just let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth