cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection on modem mode hub 3

6feetunder
Tuning in

Hello all

I have a BT mesh system that I have been using with my virgin super hub 3 as router mode. Been fairly lucky over the years that I haven't had bad wifi  or drop outs... but since christmas, I've been getting regular connection drop outs and decided to explore using the hub as a modem, as so many of you here have done and advised. 

Followed all the required steps, but I have no internet connection, even plugged in directly to the laptop (DHCP mode enabled), and no other ethernet cable plugged in to the hub. I even could not log on to the hub using 192.168.100.0, so I had to reset the hub to be able to access it. The ethernet cable works, as I left the cable plugged in the laptop when I reset the hub, which turned it back to router mode, and I could get internet through the cable (wi-fi turned off). 

It seems to be that I could have a faulty hub? But is there anything else I could try?

7 REPLIES 7

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

The BT Whole Home mesh system has no routing capabilities. They’re basically mesh extenders.

The hub needs to be in Router Mode with the Wifi disabled. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks - how do I go on to disable wi-fi on router mode?

But also, modem mode should work directly on my laptop plugged in?

@6feetunder wrote:

Thanks - how do I go on to disable wi-fi on router mode?

But also, modem mode should work directly on my laptop plugged in?

Just login to the hubs admin page and disable the Wifi.

Modem Mode will work with one device only - it will lock itself to the MAC address of whatever device is connected.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Hi @6feetunder

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you managed to sort this now following the above advice from the very helpful gary_dexter?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you lots, but I think I have some issues here:

1. I have no internet connection on modem mode, only one ethernet cable plugged in laptop (onto port 1 on the hub). The same cable is fine on router mode.

2. Disabling wireless is not sticky - I haven't measured how long wireless turns back on, but it's at least a couple of hours. 

Many thanks 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi 6feetunder,

Thank for your responses and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to see you're still facing issues,

From taking a browse into your account I can see that your powers levels are shown to be lower than our spec.

I'll drop you a PM to go through a few details with you.

Cheers,

Kain

Thank you!