cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection for over 6 hours 3 lights on Hub 3 green with internet one flashing

nebula123
Tuning in

WiFi went down at 10pm yesterday and had been down since. I've got the Hub 3 and the power light of solid green, WiFi light is solid green and the internet one is flashing green.

I've reset the connection multiple times, changed the coaxial cable, checked if the service in my area is down (showing as normal) but nothing has worked.

Anyone have any idea why the lights are in this way and what's wrong and how to fix it as this usually doesn't happen and if it does it's usually back in no less than 6 hours?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

that sounds like an external fault - all you can do at this point is check all connections back to the external box - if they are good you need a tech to look -that said the service checker is not that accurate on local problems so it may come back on its own

you say you have changed the coax - what to - if its a non VM supply then that may be adding to the problem - also if its a different length - much longer or shorter that also may be part of the problem so refit the original - do a reboot and then a reset if needed and see if it helps

if not come back and let VM have a look

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah so we had to change the coaxial cable from the original as it wasn't long enough to reach a power outlet and that had been working fine.

I changed it to the original cable which is shorter and that throws the same issue.

Is there an official way to reboot/reset the router other than turning it off waiting a minute then turning it back on?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

ok - i come back to the replacement cable - is that VM supplied - if not you should not be using it - it can affect the network - that said its not the core of todays problem - if its not official and you need a tech make sure the official one is in place and ask him to leave or make a longer one

to reboot - power down and leave off for a minute or so then power up

to reset - push a paperclip or similar into the reset hole and hold for a good 30sec - dont guess time it and add a bit - DONT power down it will come back on its own

some say to remove any lan cables when you do the above - you can if you want - i dont see the reason for that but i may be wrong

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks but no avail,

The longer cable isn't a Virgin media cable but wouldn't think that would be an issue as we've been using it since we got the Hub 3.

Still getting the 2 solid green lights for power and WiFi and the internet one is still flashing green.

How long does it usually take Virgin media to send someone out to look at it?

Thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the issue is not being caused by the replacement cable unless they have detected noise in your area and isolated it to your drop - if they have they may have disconnected you - thats an extreme situation which i doubt is the case but it can happen - bin the cable - put the official one back on and wait for VM - you can ring and they should book a tech - if you wait here it can be a few days 

when the tech arrives ask if he will give you a longer cable - they would normally charge £99 if everything is working but as there seems to be a fault the tech should be ok with a longer cable

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks again for your help, just one question

If I book a technician to come round and it ends up magically being fixed, is it possible to cancel the technician without a charge?

Thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you can cancel via you account - but all tech visits are free - they only charge for non fault call outs which clearly is not

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi nebula123,

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your broadband. I'm happy to take a look in to things but I've been unable to locate your account via your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi nebula123,

Thanks for coming back to me via Private Message. 

I'm glad to hear that things are resolved for you for now. If this changes then do please come back to us so we can help you further 🙂

Take care and enjoy your weekend. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs