cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection to WiFi in bedroom

sandraholds
Tuning in

Hello, when my virgin media was first installed a couple of months ago we found that there was little/no connection in the bedroom. I contacted the help desk and they said I would receive a call back to sort. I never received a call and as the whole installation process had been so exhausting I gave up. Now feel the need to try again. I think a ‘pod’ or something is required. I’ve tried running the virginconnect app to check for black spots but it doesn’t work. Any tips please?

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are only free to customers on 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you?

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. I was hoping virgin would just sort it out but maybe that was naive! Will try your suggestions 😊

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sandraholds wrote:

Thanks John. I was hoping virgin would just sort it out but maybe that was naive! Will try your suggestions 😊

Ultimately, Virgin supply a broadband connection.

Wireless coverage depends on a whole multitude of factors within your home, which VM have no direct control over.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I thought the engineer was supposed to check everything worked ok when he installed and suggest fixes if there were problems? 

@sandraholds wrote:

I thought the engineer was supposed to check everything worked ok when he installed and suggest fixes if there were problems? 

They check everything is working to the hub.

Getting things optimised internally is down to the customer 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi sandraholds,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're experiencing some connection issues.

I've been able to locate your account using your forum details and can see a couple of levels out of sync on  your hub. It's been some time since the hub was last rebooted, can you please do this and let me know if there is any improvements?

Alex_Rm