cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection in sons room

Lincraig1969
Joining in

My connection to virgin is good except for my sons bedroom he has no connection a lot of the time what is wrong

3 REPLIES 3

lotharmat
Community elder
The hub is a capable enough modem but a pretty lousy router! -

You have a number of options - If you are on an Ultimate Ooooooooooooooomph or 1Gb/s package; you can get a WiFi 'Pod' that should help relay the signal to his room.

If not - they cost £5 per month and in 18 months you will have spent enough to get your own router and use the hub in modem mode!

I did this and it has saved my sanity! Much more configurable, much better range and it's yours to keep if you change providers!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another option is to do what my lad did....

He is a serious internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go, but running cable to his room was problematic.

So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise". You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well. Or some PA’s have built in wifi too.

Note unless they have GB ethernet ports then speeds will always Max out at below 100mbps - but that shouldn't matter too much for gaming. Or is he streaming at 4K from Netflix?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Lincraig1969

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues, how is your connection getting on today - has it improved at all?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs