cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband for 24hrs

sharonallan
Tuning in

We lost broadband last night and have tried contacting virgin for an engineer to attend but have been told they can’t send one out as there is an area outage. When I’ve checked our area, Durham, the status says it’s fine. I know others have lost theirs but have an engineer booked. We were told it could be days for us to get it back. Is this correct? Are others having the same issue? And does this seem the right process they are following? It is very frustrating especially when my husband works from home.

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI @sharonallan 

Are there still any known issues?

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

The Check Service Status is often only populated with details of wide spread outages.

You could also try the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more localised issues down to postcode level.

Whilst not ideal it's probably a better indicator of known problems and should also show the latest estimated date/time for the fault to be repaired.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I have done all the checks on the hub, checked our line and the area. The line appears ok and isn’t showing an outage and the CS team say the same. I have had numerous engineer visits booked, 2 for today and 1 for tomorrow and all have been cancelled via virgin. I have another set for sat but fear this may be cancelled too. I’m at a loss because I know of others on my estate in the same position yet no engineer has been called to check out area. The hub has a blue wifi indicator at the top and a flashing blue light at the bottom. I must admit I’m regretting changing to this service now as I’ve never experienced this before with others.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Always best to use the 0800 free number.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@sharonallan wrote:

I have done all the checks on the hub, checked our line and the area. The line appears ok and isn’t showing an outage and the CS team say the same. I have had numerous engineer visits booked, 2 for today and 1 for tomorrow and all have been cancelled via virgin. I have another set for sat but fear this may be cancelled too. I’m at a loss because I know of others on my estate in the same position yet no engineer has been called to check out area. The hub has a blue wifi indicator at the top and a flashing blue light at the bottom. I must admit I’m regretting changing to this service now as I’ve never experienced this before with others.

One of VM's processes is that they won't send a technician while there is an area fault ongoing. Unfortunately it does sometimes seem possible to book one though via VM's various support channels which then gets promptly auto-cancelled by some other VM process because of the area fault.

It sometimes takes a while for VM's service status channels to catch up with the correct information. The 0800 561 0061 service status number is reported on here to be the more accurate and localised (once it has caught up with events!)

There is no area fault reported either on this number or via CS team. I have contacted CS and used the 0800 number with no success.  The auto cancelling makes sense as this is what I was told happened to this mornings appointment. It still doesn’t help that we know nothing about what is going on.

@sharonallan wrote:

There is no area fault reported either on this number or via CS team. I have contacted CS and used the 0800 number with no success.  The auto cancelling makes sense as this is what I was told happened to this mornings appointment. It still doesn’t help that we know nothing about what is going on.

Possibly an intermittent problem. You can do nothing more than wait for you Saturday technician, keep checking the 0800 phone number occasionally and perhaps restart your VM hub every so often to see if it comes back to life.

Keep a note of all your comm's with VM and the date when you first phoned in the fault. VM gets two clear working days to fix the fault then compensation applies at a day rate of £8.40.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Hey there @sharonallan, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the service you are facing. 😞
I've had a look on my end and I can't see any area outages or the service being offline, it shows it is online.
Are you able to reboot your equipment for us please and let us know how the connection is.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

All is resolved now thank you.

Hi sharonallan,

Thanks so much for the update, we're pleased to hear this has now been sorted for you.

If you do need anything else, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards

Beth