cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No WIFI or poor signal in some rooms

sjane366
Tuning in

Last Thursday (07/11/2022) we upgraded to 1GVolt, and part of the package was un upgrade to Hub 5 from Hub3.

Since then, we have had numerous problems most of which have been solved by giving the 2.4g and 5g networks separate SSID names. However, after running the Connect app, I have noticed that most of the upstairs rooms have weak or no signal.

Living room  : 85Mbps Download : 52Mbps Upload
Hallway        : 41Mbps Download : 38Mbps Upload
Bedroom      :  1Mbps  Download : 10Mbps Upload
Bedroom 2   : No signal
Hobby room : Intermittent signal

Would ordering a WIFI Pod help with my problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They are free to you so worth a try - see this

VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room and it’s now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
They are free to you so worth a try - see this

VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room and it’s now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

sjane366
Tuning in

Problem on the way to being solved. A WiFi Pod should arrive on Tuesday the 29th.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @sjane366 

With the pod(s) you should be aware of the following requirements for them to work with the Hubs.

The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'
Channel Optimisation must be left on
The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled
The SSID must be password protected
The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match
As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pods will automatically connect to your Hub's WiFi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pods will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect up the devices in the home. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi sjane366, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear the WiFi connection is a little erratic. We're glad you have a pod on it's way out to you to try but as mentioned by newapollo, there are some criteria in order for the pods to work. 

As you've mentioned you've split the bands, you'll need to revert these back to default. You can find further help on setting up the WiFi Pod here

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs