cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet when Hub 3 in Modem Mode

jonnybravo867
Joining in

Hi there I am hoping someone can offer some advice and potentially solve my problem as Virgin Media's own support team are impossible to get hold of at the moment and their automated chat bot is useless.

Until recently I've had my virgin hub 3 running in modem only mode connected up to an Asus RT-AC68U router and it's been working perfectly for around 2 years like that. One day I came home and there was no working internet connection (the wifi was still working but just not able to connect to the internet on any devices, even those connected directly to the router via ethernet). Having logged into the router it was stating that it could not detect an internet connection on the WAN port. No settings appeared to have changed and the internet to the Hub 3 was working fine according to the virgin media automated line tests (confirmed by taking the Hub 3 out of modem only mode - and connecting to it's wifi and everything was working fine). I've reset the hub 3 to factory, put it back into modem only mode and connected it back up to the Asus router and still no luck - no internet connection is detected.

For the past few weeks I've just been using the hub 3 in router mode and eventually got so fed up with not being able to get hold of anyone at virgin - decided to buy a new router in the hope that it was a problem with the actual WAN port on the back of the unit. So with a brand new Asus RT-AC68U, I put the hub 3 back into modem only mode and went through the setup process on the router.... and still no internet connection is detected on the WAN port.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be? Having tried a few suggestions from other threads with no success I'm beginning to think I might need a new hub 3 - but it seems like getting hold of a real person at Virgin Media right now is basically impossible!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Try a different Cat 6 ethernet cable between Hub and Router.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Put the Hub in Modem mode and wait for it to stabilise, maybe 5 minutes or or so.  Switch off the Hub.  Connect a laptop/pc to the Hub and power on the Hub.  Do you get internet?  If so the Hub is working.

So, power off the Hub and leave for a while.  Power on the ASUS and make sure it's set for DHCP.  Connect the ASUS WAN port to the Hub, and power on the Hub.  It needs to be done this way for the first initial time to allow the CMTS to recognise the ASUS MAC address and allocate a WAN IP.  After this initial "pairing" is done, the reboot order is not important.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Try a different Cat 6 ethernet cable between Hub and Router.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Put the Hub in Modem mode and wait for it to stabilise, maybe 5 minutes or or so.  Switch off the Hub.  Connect a laptop/pc to the Hub and power on the Hub.  Do you get internet?  If so the Hub is working.

So, power off the Hub and leave for a while.  Power on the ASUS and make sure it's set for DHCP.  Connect the ASUS WAN port to the Hub, and power on the Hub.  It needs to be done this way for the first initial time to allow the CMTS to recognise the ASUS MAC address and allocate a WAN IP.  After this initial "pairing" is done, the reboot order is not important.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks so much to both replies! Tried a combination of both suggestions and it's now working absolutely fine. Thanks guys!!!

This worked for me again the combination and I spent hours trying various combinations and previous firmware’s. I think what really made the difference was the Cat 6 cable between modem and router. 

It still really doesn’t explain why it happened after working fine for a month or two. 

Anyway thanks for the help.