cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet For Three Weeks

XL-II-80
Tuning in

Hello board.

I had no internet for the last three weeks, I would get maybe the first five minutes when I switched on then I could see the status bar turn to No Internet on both 2G and 5G. I am plugged into my router via an ethernet cable and nothing was loose. Those first five minutes would be my total connection for the day.

One thing I had not done was unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged in to a different port on the router and on doing so earlier today my connection came back on so I am taking the opportunity to ask here about what had possibly gone wrong and how to avoid it reoccurring?

I changed my wifi password years ago but I do not think I changed the router password, what is the best way to do so? I am using Windows 11.

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable - old ones can and do fail?

There are also threads on here reporting the odd failed port on a VM Hub - what Hub model do you have?

To change the password - do this...

Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then navigate to the place where the passwords are stored (Security?) and change it there

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a run of cable here which I will try when new hub arrives. I am using Hub 3, (possibly even 2, eight years old, I replaced an old NTL hub with it) and waiting for either a 4 or a 5 to arrive. I pay for a faster broadband connection than standard.

CityFibre were doing work in the building either last month of December, I do not know if this is related to the problem. When I switched on today and was updating software the connection was cutting out again.

How would I know if I have been hacked for free wifi?

I have just set up a new Hub 4 but my internet connection is immediately switching on and off. I have random hardware addresses switched on, could this be causing the problem?

It appears to have stabilised now and I changed the password via your helpful instructions.

Can I also change the wifi network name? What would you suggest to make the connection as secure as possible?

Edit, changed the wifi network name but it isn't accepting the new password, only the old one. Hopefully it'll eventually level out.

Hi there @XL-II-80 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have been facing issues with your connections, can I ask how things are looking since your last post? 

Thanks again

Hey Ashleigh

I have a connection albeit it takes several minutes from switching the PC and hub on for a connection to be established and I see what looks like a connection then drop out and have learned to wait for it to come back before attempting to go online. Average wait is around three minutes from switching everything on. It is unlikely to be the PC as I spent over a grand on upgrades to it late last year, new CPU and RAM etc to enable Windows 11.

Haven't tried the laptop since changing password and network name, will try that now. Again it is not accepting the new password I set, only the one supplied with the new hub. I will try to change the password again.

Whereas if I try to log into the hub it only accepts the new password.

Can I just confirm are you changing the Hub settings password or the Network password? As it sounds as though you may be changing the settings password. 

Please do try on another laptop for us and let us know how things are looking. 

Just to check are you turning off the Hub overnight etc?