Menu
sas0875
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No Ethernet??

Hi - hoping someone can help?

I have been successfully using a super hub 3 with many connected devices (wired and wireless) for a good while now but on Saturday morning all 3 devices that are connected via Ethernet simply stopped working. A Windows PC, Xbox a Hive hub.  WiFi continued to work fine. 

Spoke to VM and did all the usual reboots, resets etc.. and in the end they sent me a new super hub 3.  This came today and is now all set-up but... same problem!  Anything connected via Ethernet simply doesn't get a connection.  WiFi is still fine.  

Tried all the ports, changed cables, changed what I had connected, for example plugged a MacBook in via ethernet. Mac sees it connected via Ethernet but no IP address is assigned.

All the lights on the back flicker green as if there is activity but nothing?  The hub dashboard shows no Ethernet connected?

Does anyone know what would cause this?  VM telephone support are at a loss.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Ethernet??

Can you confirm that a device such as a mobile phone has internet via WiFi? If so, this is strange. Can you post some stats. Go to 192.168.0.1, do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream, Upstream and Network Logs. Mask any public IP address.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@sas0875 wrote:

VM telephone support are at a loss.

So I'm I new hub and all wired devices don't work but wireless does...very odd.

Does a wired PC get a IP? If so do a ping 8.8.8.8 from cmd

If your PC does not get a IP config your PC with the follower for your NIC
IP 192.168.0.254
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS 8.8.8.8

unless one of your device has a bad fault that blows the ports on the hub.

0 Kudos
sas0875
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, multiple phones, TVs , light bulbs etc... all worked fine via WiFi.  I was just about to share the results you asked for but it now gets stranger.  

I thought I would try a TP link router (C50?), put the super hub into modem mode and see if that worked?  After a lot of messing around I got the Ethernet to work via the TP link but the speeds weren't good?  (would need to work out why another time, I am on 516mbps but was getting 100 max?). 

Anyway, I then reverted the super hub back to router mode.  Now Ethernet all works perfectly fine again???  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I "think" the c50 is a "cheaper/older" router model that only has 10/100 ports (not gigabit).
Check that first - if so - it will never get over ~100mbps.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
sas0875
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You're right!  that explains that.   It was a cheap purchase to test more than anything, which oddly fixed my issue.

Will look at getting a better one.  

Thanks for taking the time to help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos