cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DNS on Guest Network

Danmoo
Joining in

For some reason no DNS is set for devices connecting to my guest network so they’re reporting there’s no internet once connected. This happened a few weeks ago so I completely reset my Hub 4 and set it up again like I did before. This seemed to have resolved the issue but today I’ve noticed it’s back. Why would my guest network not have any DNS settings?

As an FYI, My Hub 4 has the main network (192.168.0.X) set up with the DHCP server off as my raspberry pi running pi-hole handles this. The raspberry pi IP is also set as the DNS on this network and everything works fine.

What I don’t understand is why it worked for a period of time after resetting the router but now it doesn’t. Timing of this issue could coincide with the recent April 2023 outages but I can’t be 100% sure it wasn’t an issue before as the guest network is only used when guests come to our home.

any help is greatly appreciated

Dan

7 REPLIES 7

g0akc
Problem sorter

What happens if you try without the pi, using the hub for DHCP and dns?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You shall not have Guests 🤔 when you have pi-hole

---------------------------------------------------------------

will check today and report back.

Not sure what you mean?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Maybe with hubs DHCP off guests can't get a IP and your pi-hole can't be a DHCP server for guests because its no a isolated network...unless you have a pi-hole on that network

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think the Guest network is on a different IP range, which would be outside the Pi's access?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes the guest network is on a different subnet so pi-hole will not work on that, which is fine.

Not had chance to re-enable dhcp to see if the DNS settings return for the guest network but will have a look today.

What I do know is the guest subnet didn’t loose it’s DNS settings on the SH3 with the same setup up I have now so it could be a SH4 issue.