cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nintendo switch wifi

Gaz756
Tuning in

Hi,  

Had trouble connecting my sons Nintendo switch to wifi the last few days due to an dns error. To cut a long story short I have noticed when going into router settings and turning off the firewall it connects no problem.

Is it safe to just leave the firewall off or have virgin changed something on the router which I can change back???

Cheers

Gary Dunbar. 

12 REPLIES 12

george_g
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

hey Gary Dunbar,

I work for virgin as an engineer and i personally own a switch. Maybe I can help. Could you tell me the exact error message that comes up when you try to connect your switch to the wifi?

kind regards,

George G

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi George, 

The error code is 2110-3127 dns error.

Gary. 

Hi, 

Found this on the forum and it seems to have sorted it for the minute. 

Re: Nintendo Switch cannot resolve DNS

I figured it out.

You need to sign into the Hub 3.0 control panel on your browser and go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > MAC Filtering and the MAC address for the switch will likely be listed there. Remove it from the list and reconnect on the switch again. Should be g2g. 

Hopefully stays fixed. 

Cheers. 

Hi there 

I'm having the same problem with the switch not connecting and look forward to hearing what a virgin engineer says.  It seems that a few people have had this problem with no official sounding solution.

Error message on the switch was also 2110-3127

Regards, Sean

I just done what I quoted on my post and it's working fine now. 

Gary. 

Thanks, got there in the end!!
The sequence on my hub was actually: Advanced settings> Security>Mac Filtering

Cheers, Sean

KEF
Tuning in

Hi, I have had the same dns error message on our switch. I spent hours a couple of months ago going all the options suggested on these sites and eventually it worked. I’m not sure whether it was entering the correct manual dns settings or whether splitting my broadband out into 2G and 5G was the answer but I got it to work and was just relived that after hours and hours of frustration I got it to work, much to the delight of my 10 YO.

Cut to 2 months later and it’s started happening again. I’ve tried all the same things again, and have also now switched my firewall off in desperation, which has worked and seems to still be connected after I put the firewall back on so I will see how it goes.

Honestly this is the most frustrating thing ever, and the only change before this happened the first time, was an upgrade to our broadband that we asked for due to working from home. It always connects to my phone hotspots so I know it is the broadband and you can’t speak to anyone at VM. There should be more details circulated about this and I’m sure it’s going to happen again at which point I will start complaining.

if anyone has any other ideas then please do let me know.

Just upgraded from a Virgin Media Hub2 to Hub3 (in November 2021). Most devices connected via WiFi fine, except the Nintendo Switch. It reports the Error Code: 2110-3127 (DNS). I've searched on this forum and tried several things including checking MAC filtering and manually entering DNS, but still no luck.

I then got connection working when disabling the firewall in the Hub3. The switch is happy until the firewall is turned back on again. I don't really want to turn this off/on every time my son plays on his Switch!

Does anyone know why the Hub3 firewall is affecting the Nintendo Switch internet connection?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you checked the MAC filtering settings?  Also can you set the DNS settings within the Switch manually?  If so use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 , these are Google's DNS servers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks