Menu
frankf77
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New wifi dongle needed

Hi, just upgraded to Virgin tv package about 2 months ago, inc new super hub and v6 tv box. I’ve just realised I need to replace my old wifi dongle that I had with my original Virgin setup and used with another pc in the house - Does anyone know how i can get one please?

many thanks

frankf 

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New wifi dongle needed

Hey Frankf77,

Thanks for getting in touch, though sorry to sat we don't supply WiFi dongles anymore.

If it's a WiFi related problem you have, then you might want to check out the new Virgin media Connect App ...you can use the app to potentially order a WiFi booster which may be a solution to your dongle problem.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
frankf77
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph,

thanks for that. I dont have a wifi problem yet tho - im just building a new pc and need a wifi connection, but the hub i have is latest type and am guessing it wont work with the old dongle i got with the old hub.

do you know if it will be compatible with my new hub or do i need to think about a wifi pci card adaptor instead?

many thanks

frank

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you could split up the wifi on the hub this could make it compatible with the old dongle.http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Connecting-WiFi-adaptor-for-air-con/td-p/362...

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
frankf77
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi paultechy

thanks for the suggestion - I assume you mean split the wavebands and use the 2.4ghz for the old dongle?

I think its probably easier just to dump the old dongle and purchase a new dual band adaptor - USB or pcie etc. If I do, would that detect the hub OK?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately WiFi is very fickle and nobody can give you a definitive answer if the hub will see a new WiFi card or dongle. It depends on location, type of building materials in your home, adjacent WiFi users etc, etc. The best way and also probably the cheapest to get an excellent signal is to use CAT5e/6 cable. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos