Menu
xxdd91
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New user huge speed loss upstairs via WiFi

Hi All

I had my Virgin installed on 26th. I’m at a bit of a loss as too why my speeds around my house vary so much.

Im expecting an average of 213mbps until 350 reaches my area. When I’m in the same room as my hub3 I Speedtest at 220mbps. 

Once I leave that room my speed drops drastically. The room directly above (approx 4m away straight up haha) I’m getting about 5-120mbps on 5g/2.4 - I’ve already looked at what channels are being used locally and moved to large least active channels. Upstairs I’m getting between 2/full bars WiFi. I sat with a WiFi analyser on my laptop for a while and my signal strength appeared high. 

Obviously the 120 is great however the lower end of 5 is awful. 

Am I missing something here I live in a 1900s Semi and have never suffered with this kind of speed loss with other isps.

Could I use some form of extender or a powerline with WiFi?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New user huge speed loss upstairs via WiFi

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort quite a few Hub3 wifi issues.   Go into the Hub3 settings (go to http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 in your browser) and in "smart wifi" disable the "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them - e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated and you can then select the network you want to connect to, individually on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range".  See if that helps. If not post back and discuss other options.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
xxdd91
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’ve just got up an it’s just before 6am my results were,

2.4g - 77.4 Down / 12.6 Up - ping 9ms - jitter 5.2ms ( -50 miles away from server)

5g - 104 Down / 12.8 Up - ping 18ms - jitter 2.3ms ( same server) 

I noticed the signal strength of 5G was a lot worse I did the test in the same location.

Ive only tests one room the room directly above the hub3. There would be three other rooms I’d need to test.

Should I be losing the best part of 100mbps approx 4/5m away from the router?

0 Kudos
Tsar
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There are a bunch of things you can do from using your old router from BT or Sky or whoever to buying powerlines, a new router, mesh system etc. Depends on how deep your pockets are.

If you still have your old ISPs router I'd connect this to the SH and use this for wifi. Google for instructions ("use old router as an access point"). This won't cost you anything. You say there were no wifi issues with you previous ISP so I'd do this as a first step.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@xxdd91 wrote:

Should I be losing the best part of 100mbps approx 4/5m away from the router?

See Sephiroths post re. wifi

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wifi-keeps-dropping-out-constantly/td-p/361...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
xxdd91
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I tried to work out all the possible floors windows walls my WiFi could pass through haha but it’s quite complicated I feel. I did notice that while near my router I’m seeing between -30-50dBm and upstairs I’m seeing -70-90dBm but I don’t fully understand what that means only that my router room is seeing 160-225mbps and upstairs is seeing between 20-120mbps.

Ive tried to add an WiFi extender which seems to improve my signal but does little for my speeds.

0 Kudos