cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Virgin

Annabee666
Tuning in

I am a 40 year BT user but not got speeds at new address so thought I give Virgin a try. Is it usual to be sent a basic Hub 3 with WiFi issue problems?  BT don’t. How can I get a better Hub?  Even sat next to router the WiFi drops. Really not happy and customer services non existent 

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
VM hub is not that great it has a mode that can go to modem mode for use with a better home router or high end router setups.
---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If its wifi only see this...

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (ethernet connections are ok?), if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max see

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have only been using my iPhone 13 sat by the router. My ring security keeps dropping or not connecting due to poor WiFi. The house is empty and I only have a desk top PC in storage

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you move the Hub to nearer the Ring? Or more in an open area? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I asked the engineer to give me a long cable she didn’t give me much. I assume I’m a VOLT customer as I have the M125 and O2

Unfortunately impossible. Virgin are coming back to move the router and suggested a to link deco mesh

Hi @Annabee666 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have been having issues with your hub 3 and service drops. We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help. I can however see you have an upcoming appointment with our team. Please let us know how this goes and if you need any further help. In the meantime, please also try our connect app here https://virg.in/connectapp which can help with WiFi issues.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ok thank you. Hopefully as an O2 customer I can get VOLT and an upgraded hub. If no better I’ll have to get a mesh network or something 

@Annabee666 wrote:

Hopefully as an O2 customer I can get VOLT and an upgraded hub. If no better I’ll have to get a mesh network or something 

I don't rate any of the VM Hubs, particularly their wireless performance - hence I use my VM Hub in modem mode and use a third party router.

BT Home Hubs are far better, especially in terms of WiFi - as borne out by various marketing tests/Ofcom tests.  I still use a BT Smart hub as an additional wireless access point in part of the house (with a third party router).

If I were you I'd look to get a third party router or mesh system and use the hub in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!