cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hub 5

squig1974
Joining in

Im on 1 gigabit when can i upgrade to thr new superhub 5 with wifi6 ?

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You don't, wanting wifi6 means nothing VM give you a hub 4 thats all your going to get even if VM should not list as 1Gb because of 1Gb ports that limit you to 940Mb

if you want wifi6 you can get your router and put hub in modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub5 is still on a "soft launch" with invited customers only. It is not available for 1G customers, this is because they are eligible for free pods and the firmware does not as yet support them. From all reports on the board there are still serious problems with it. vM have have NOT stated when it will be available. Even when it is, I expected it will be initially for new customers only, it will not be "I want one, send me one" situation.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Best way to maximise speeds right now.... is to get your own router with wifi6

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Having your own router doesnt fix the issue, the issue is the 1gb ethernet ports on the hub 4, with 1gb you cap out at about 1150Mbps, but because of the 1gb ethernet you lose 20% of your max internet speed to the ethernet caps of around 950Mbps...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is going to come across as alarming and a bit heretical to many on here but what day to day purposes are served by having c. 1 gbs download speeds? 

Other than the fact that I am paying for the speed, the ability to download things 20% faster is quite a change, for both work and pleasure.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The hub4 will provide 1G for multiple devices, what it will not provide is 1G for a single device. I doubt if there are many people with only 1 device on their home network.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

seanlintern
On our wavelength
My Main PC is capable of using the entire bandwidth currently via 2Gbps wifi, I just want the hub 5 for the 2.5Gbps ethernet to feed my router the full speed so I can use it.