cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New green lights on Hub 3.0 after work in area?

thekelvingreen
On our wavelength

This is an odd one.

There was some sort of issue in my area on Thursday, which was affecting broadband and phone. VM was aware of the issue and got it fixed in a couple of hours. No problems there.

After the issue was "fixed", my Hub 3.0 started displaying green lights. The wireless light is a solid green, as is the telephone light. The internet light (two arrows) is flashing green.

Looking at the advice on the VM site and elsewhere, it seemed to suggest that this was some sort of update, and to give it five minutes or so. If the flashing didn't stop, then try switching off and on, and then it should be sorted. Three restarts later, it is not sorted.

The internet light is still flashing now, on Saturday afternoon, and the other two lights are, um, lit.

What is strange is that:

(1) Our connection is working fine. We've got wireless and internet and it's all working.

(2) These lights were never lit before VM conducted its work in the area.

So, I suppose my question is, given that our connection is fine, is there a way to stop the flashing lights? I can't find any control over that in the router settings, but I haven't done a full factory reset yet.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could try a factory reset as below.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You could try a factory reset as below.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

A factory rest has sorted it. Internet connection is fine, lights are gone.

I would love to know what the issue was (why the lights were going off when the connection was fine) but at least it's working. 🙂

Thank you!

Possibly after the works in your area it couldn't syncronise back to the VM network, had it happen a couple of times to myself personally but typically a cold-restart with turning off and taking out the cable for a minute or so fixes it without the need for a hard reset.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.